Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

AIBU to ask for this or not?

(10 Posts)
nappyaddict Sat 20-Aug-11 19:40:38

DS has (well is supposed to have) weekly language group sessions when he is at school which last 30 mins. I'm not sure how many other children are in the group. Would it be OK to ask the SALT just to send something home to say each time he's been, what he's been doing and what we can work on at home to compliement that? Or is that too much for her to do for every child who is in the group?

shaz298 Sat 20-Aug-11 19:42:43

Luuk has had SALT at school since he started group and individual. We are always given details of what he's working on. The more he poractices the better. I'd ask. Worst that happens is you're told it's not possible. TBH would make more sense that you know what is going on so you can support the SALT work..............

coff33pot Sat 20-Aug-11 20:23:18

I dont think you are being unreasonable to ask at all. It makes total sense to me to be kept updated so you can also practice.

vjg13 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:32:31

I think that is totally reasonable. Apart from being able to do things at home, it is a good way of making sure it's taking place each week.

nappyaddict Mon 22-Aug-11 10:21:40

vjg13 That is the main reason I want to know because it took me a long time and a lot of compromising to get this into his statement and even then they didn't seem very keen. I don't like the fact that if it's not happening I wouldn't know, so it would be very easy for him to miss sessions.

MugglesandLuna Mon 22-Aug-11 10:53:23

Totally reasonable!

auntevil Mon 22-Aug-11 11:14:30

YANBU. In my DS first school, he had OT that was apparently meant to happen each week. When I followed it up, they said it had been a busy term and would start again in earnest the following term.
There's nothing wrong in offering support at home. I thought that schools wanted more parents to be involved in their child's education by supporting at home.

nappyaddict Wed 12-Oct-11 13:19:50

Just emailed the SALT and said:

"I was wondering if after each time you've seen him you could let us know what he's been doing and what we can work on at home to compliement that? You can do that through his home school book if that's easiest, or via email if there's worksheets or resources you can send electronically?"

I think that sounds OK - not too arsy or pushy?

coff33pot Wed 12-Oct-11 15:32:14

Sounds fine to me smile email would probably be best as you would no doubt gain more info than a quick scribble in a book.

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Wed 12-Oct-11 16:30:06

yanbu. when DS was under SALT, they were always perfectly happy to send out worksheets/resources, might take a few weeks but they did it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now