Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Let's play What They Really Mean...

(16 Posts)
TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 20-Aug-11 11:27:42

What They Say
"Dear Parent/Carer
The county council is currently reviewing its transport policy for children and young people, including transport for children with learning difficulties and disabilities. This is with the aim of improving the experience of children and young people travelling in Derbyshire, encouraging independent living skills and as a means of saving money in difficult times"

They then give details of a consultation.

What They Mean
"Dear Knackered Person
The county council is strapped for cash, so we are going to go after the most vulnerable because we reckon they're the least likely to stop us. We are going to stop transporting your disabled child to school and they can get the bus, or you can take them yourself.

We realise that this means you may now have to be in two places at once, if you have a younger child at another school, say, or take the chance of a vulnerable child actually being able to take a bus by themselves and keep your fingers crossed they actually get to school in the morning and we anticipate a lovely time for you every afternoon, hoping they are going to get back ok, unlike the parent of a child who is safe to get a bus by themselves, but we respectfully request that you bend over and take it up the arse."

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 20-Aug-11 12:48:55

Hmm, that sounds about accurate. All wrapped up in 'this is to improve the experience for your child!' Yeah, right. How stupid do they think we are?

coff33pot Sat 20-Aug-11 13:01:55

Very nice and thoughtful of your council to kick SN children in the shins AGAIN......

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 20-Aug-11 13:06:21

I know.

Times are tough, what can we cut back on?

Our expenses? noooo

Fact Finding Missions to the Seychelles? noooo

Hospitality? noooo

the homeless bereaved penguin shelter? nooooo

provision for disabled children? BINGO!

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 13:09:59

I have the same letter TMB only at present it's not a problem because they are successfully denying ds a school from September anyway angry Will gather the strength needed before I see just how much it's going to affect us but we have two kids with statements at schools outside catchment 30 plus miles apart and one car so unless we grow wings they are going to have to transport at least one of them.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 20-Aug-11 13:20:50

No school? How on earth can they justify that?

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 13:28:46

Well they've failed to amend the statement until a week ago, six months after transition review deadline. Still waiting for them to finalise it and we're off to Tribunal.
Do you know they propose to make a SEN post sixteen provision at your ds's comp? I found out because they were discussing it at a panel meeting for ds. Of course it's only plans and hasn't been built but they discussed it for ds who should be in post sixteen in a fortnight.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 20-Aug-11 13:36:29

My son's school is 11-16 only, so if he wants to continue in education, he'll have to transfer to a college.

I haven't heard anything about any post-16 sen provision at his school, no.

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 13:48:16

They are planning to build a post 16 SEN provision at the school. I asked for minutes of a panel meeting where they discussed my ds and they talked about it. I phoned the school and was told the plans are being mooted because of difficulties transporting SEN students to colleges in Chesterfield, Clowne etc.Could be good news for you but totally impractical for ds.

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 13:49:48

There is also an ASD resource planned for Chesterfield Tech so worth asking about that as well.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 20-Aug-11 17:27:30

'Your expectations of your child's ability are unrealistic!'

They mean 'Your expectations of our ability to meet your child's needs are unrealistic!'

insanityscatching Sat 20-Aug-11 18:44:33

Who said that Star? Ed psych or SENCo.
Ds's proposed amended statement (although they named school and signed it so would call that final) made one of the objectives that the mainstream school placement was to fulfill was to find, secure and support ds in a college placement confused

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 21-Aug-11 09:03:05

Autism Advisory Teacher.

insanityscatching Sun 21-Aug-11 11:38:47

That actually doesn't surprise me too much unfortunately our AO person is the pits. If you don't have a visual timetable then that is the cause of all difficulties (dd doesn't and doesn't need one) if you then implement one and the child chooses to ignore it (because she doesn't need it) you are advised to get tough and refuse to let the child join the rest of the class until she does confused After that she has no suggestions.

SallyBowles Sun 21-Aug-11 11:48:24

This is who at they're doing with us. My son is due to start secondary school in Sept 2012. We've been advised that, as he cannot be accommodated in our local, excellent secondary, which is literally 200 yards from out front door, we ought to make our preference for him to go to another, excellent mainstream school with ASD unit, which is a three quarters of an hour's drive from us. We have been told there will be no transport there. Transport services will be discontinued before that time.

So, we have no choice but to move. He cannot, under any circumstances, safely go on the bus. I will be unable to spend 3 hours daily driving him to/from school.

So, it's "f**k you" disabled kids from Cheshire East Council.

Very nice. What was it Mr Cameron said? We will not be targeting the poorest, most vulnerable and genuinely in need, in our society? Righto.

wraith Mon 22-Aug-11 19:35:33

correct of corse who is the poorest the guys with 3 houses and stock portfolios in the millions

or the disabled who live on benifits with parents or carerers tryign to scrape buy to get whats nedded

hint its not the disabled

the condems will go down in history as hated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now