Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carers Allowance

(9 Posts)
CinnamonPretzel Fri 19-Aug-11 18:46:38

Do you qualify if you also work? What if your DC also gets DLA?
I've really been holding back on looking into benefits etc but with all the therapy we need to pay for, I'm looking at everything that will help us. I'm also struggling with work, life balance etc so seriously considering my future as a working mum. I might have to cut back and change jobs/field to lesson the pressure.
Any advice?

janetsplanet Fri 19-Aug-11 19:05:27

you are allowed to earn up to £100 i think. it does depend on your husbands/partners earnings too i think

ouryve Fri 19-Aug-11 19:06:10

Your DC needs to get middle or higher rate care component of DLA for you to qualify for Carer's allowance. I think you can get at least some it if you earn up to £100.

If your DC does get MRC or HRC, make sure you tell the tax credits people, because you get a hefty extra payment on child tax credit for a disabled child.

ouryve Fri 19-Aug-11 19:07:19

It doesn't depend on partner's earnings, by the way. I don't work, so it's me that's claiming it and there was no question on the form about what DH earns.

Debs75 Fri 19-Aug-11 19:09:17

You can earn £1oo a week which works out at about minimum wage fror 16 hours, I think yiu have to do under 16 hours as well.
You only get carers if the person you are caring for gets DLA or equivalent.
let tax credits know as the extra disability payment is a good amount.
You may get help with rent and council tax as well

Bluesunbeam Fri 19-Aug-11 19:13:30

Child needs to be on MRC or HRC. You can be earning up to £125 and still get CA, husbands wage is not taken into account. We told tax credits but are still on the same basic amount.

janetsplanet Fri 19-Aug-11 19:37:45

i remember when i first claimed carers i had to send in the tax credits award. maybe it was to prove i wasnt working?

CinnamonPretzel Fri 19-Aug-11 22:51:10

Thanks guys, won't qualify then. Seems mad - I can work my socks off, stress about keeping it together with all the daily grind and yet if I gave up work, I could possibly qualify for so much without the added pressure.
I don't want to do that and be classed as someone 'sponging' but there is soooo much extra to deal without even considering the work aspect. sad

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 19-Aug-11 23:06:08

It's £100 per week after child care etc taken off and under 16 hours. I know because I work 15 hours but earn £105 a week and had to stop getting it. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now