Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need help with touch screen computers and monitors.

(11 Posts)
MugglesandLuna Thu 18-Aug-11 22:20:02

I posted this on the wrong board so have re-posted, sorry if you have already read it

Have spent most of the morning trying to figure it all out and I am so confused.

I want to get DS2 a computer with a touch screen monitor so that he can play some of the games he likes by himself. He cant work a mouse so a touch screen will be good for him.

Do I need anything else but a touch screen and a computer? Is it really that simple?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for games etc. He loves numbers.

coff33pot Fri 19-Aug-11 01:05:13

Hi! an ipad is a computer touch all in one and so is an epad only much cheaper. I bought an android epad for my DD but found that DS had trouble using it as you had to be firmer pressing. Has your son got a Nintendo DS? There is a Nintendo DSi XL with a fractionly bigger screen. Most of the games are touch with the stylus on the screen and my DS has loads of fun on it. smile

MrsShrekTheThird Fri 19-Aug-11 02:35:53

my ds1 also uses a nintendo dsi and loves my iphone when I'm willing to let him use it. Have also heard about a netbook with a sort of flip screen so it works like an ipad (when flipped) and a netbook when you want it to do that. Have only seen adverts so don't actually know the pros and cons.
There is also a touchscreen pc that we were quite tempted by at one point - a bit pricey though!

ouryve Fri 19-Aug-11 08:53:27

It really is that simple! We have a Dell PC with a touch screen monitor. The correct way of touching the screen takes some getting used to (DS2 holds his finger down too long a lot of the time) but it means that he can now play games like those on the CBeebies site. (These wouldn't work on an iPad, since it doesn't allow Flash games to run)

This is the monitor we bought - don't need to buy a new Dell computer to go with it, we just happened to have one. We also got the £80 rebate by sending in an old monitor, too, so it worked out pretty cheap.
accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=482824

MugglesandLuna Fri 19-Aug-11 19:28:38

I dont think he would work a DS - ist too small for his fingers and the games would go over his head. I worry about the sturdyness of an Ipad. He has dropped my netbook a couple of times.

That looks brilliant Ourvye. Can you plac PC games on it (he has a couple of games by Gigglebies which he loves, but cant work the mouse to play the games)

Verahaspurpletwuntypants Fri 19-Aug-11 19:53:52

Our iPad has been dropped a few times, and is still going strong. That said we do have a silicone cover for it, and a screen protector, so quite protected (although not indestructible by any means)

ouryve Fri 19-Aug-11 21:22:31

The only things I've tried and found not to respond to the touch screen so far are the javascript links on ravelry.com and the software that comes with the Blobo I got for a Mumsnet product test, this week. DS1 uses the screen, sometimes for his lego digital designer (though a mouse is easier, since it's quite complex). We don't really have any bought games for them, though and DH doesn't play computer games any more, so we can't try it with his.

When you're not using the touch screen, it is just an ordinary (and quite nice) monitor, so it's not like it's something extra taking up space. DH is playing his Xbox with it, at the moment!

wraith Fri 19-Aug-11 22:51:45

touch screen moniters are costly not as much as they used to be and it is software dependent hp and a few others make all in one machines that have touch screen capibiblitys however if you have some technically adept people

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/maximum_pc_builds_a_multitouch_surface_computer its possible to build a limited one

sneezecakesmum Fri 19-Aug-11 23:24:37

Ouryve I am also on the lookout for a touchscreen monitor and your Dell looks perfect. again with DGS the ipad needs quite fine one finger touch, whereas its a folded hand approach he uses so the bigger the screen the better. Does this monitor connect to a laptop, or does it HAVE to be a Dell PC. They have a packard bell. * if Dell only as DH has just given his away.!!!?

ouryve Sat 20-Aug-11 23:34:19

As far as I know, it can connect to any pc and to any laptop which has a vga or HDMI connector for an external monitor and a spare usb port for the touch screen. (And it doesn't even have to be a pc, since Iain is using it with the xbox, as a normal monitor)

DH says the touchscreen capability works best with Windows 7, since that has inbuilt touchscreen, erm, stuff so can use the gestures to do different things, but xp and Vista are touchscreen capable with the right drivers, too.

sneezecakesmum Sun 21-Aug-11 12:08:41

Thank you Ourvye, I did call Dell yesterday and they said much the same things (weird experience - you type in your phone number on their website, and your phone rings immediately!! freaky)

DDs laptop is sony or samsung so will contact her DH today just to check - think it is vista, I suppose you can download the drivers or they sned you a disc, will ask them this. I also have a spare monitor which I can hopefully get £80 for to offset the cost! So think this was meant to be. grin DGS is not rough with things, quite a tentative little push with toys, so hopefully it will be robust enough for him. He's not yet 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now