Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

discounts for us carers to take the kids places....... sort ov a rant

(9 Posts)
XxAlisonxX Thu 18-Aug-11 13:18:37

not sure how many of you know about a carers discount card, now i was thinking about taking dd out for the day and found out that we could get dicounted entrance fee but only when i phoned the place to ask what proof i needed for this they asked if i had a carers card, upon googling this i found out it is a discount card and proof that you are a carer, when i contacted my counicil to ask where i apply for this.... i got told oh sorry we dont do it, but there is a lot of councils that do. typical, so now iv got 2 go hunting for letters and then cart a load of paper work about just to get a discount. so for any ov you out there please find out if your council does it and if you can claim it.

Chummybud1 Thu 18-Aug-11 14:24:41

I have never heard of this but will be contacting my council immediately.

Chummybud1 Thu 18-Aug-11 14:29:39

My council don't do it either.

XxAlisonxX Thu 18-Aug-11 15:25:47

aww not fair is it that some councils do and others dont

lisad123 Thu 18-Aug-11 15:37:09

we just say 2 disabled children and 2 carers, have never been asked at all. We have a register in our area which gives you a card for the kids so would flash that if needed

keepingupwiththejoneses Thu 18-Aug-11 15:46:35

My council dont do the card either, we just take proof of the disability ie blue badge or dla letter and have never had a problem.

Lougle Thu 18-Aug-11 16:34:24

We don't have a 'discount card' but we do have a yellow 'registered disabled' card issued by the SS dept. We normally take DLA letter and a copy of her blue badge, but very rarely get asked to see it.

snowybun Thu 18-Aug-11 20:35:10

If any of you live in Dorset you can go on the dorset for you website and apply for the xchange which is a new scheme. Joining up you get the max card which gives free or discounted entry to certain places for the card holder plus one.

steelev48 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:43:34

I have only recently found out that our local council does this. I now have the form and as my son doesn't have a diagnosis, it's proving quite hard to complete.

In the past, I have taken a copy of his DLA letter with me and the only place I had difficulty was Legoland where the girl that served me asked me a lot of questions about his disability and how it affects him.

What I don't know is if the card can only be used in the borough from which it was issued.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: