Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

met a lovely boy on the beach tonite

(19 Posts)
coff33pot Wed 17-Aug-11 23:13:25

went on our usual walk the dog and play on the beach this evening. DS was charging around in happy release due to being housebound with days of bad weather.

Because its our busy time there were still a few kiddies on the beach so I was warily watching as we tend to avoid to many ppl ....A little boy came up and asked if he could touch my dog. He was either deaf or partially deaf and his speach indicated as much or it may be that he had speach delay. The dog loves kids and it was great to watch them chasing around.

DS was splashing about in the water and come back and actually said hello thats my dog! The boy said he is a nice dog and that was the end of their convo and DS walked off. However he came back from the water angry as two kids had called him stupid. He was well stressed and was about to march back and obviously do something. The little boy looked at me and went up to DS and put his arm on his shoulder and said "we dont retaliate" in a soft voice.

I was gobsmacked for one thing DS just said "ok" another he let the child touch him when he was angry and then DS just turned round and said "I think its time to go now" grin

Its as if that boy and DS knew they had SN in common like an unspoken understanding and I am gutted that he is only on holiday because that is the first time DS has actually responded to another child without biting their head off for suggesting something. It was a lovely experience smile

lisad123 Wed 17-Aug-11 23:17:35

grin

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Aug-11 23:24:47

Your op made me cry. Those kinds of moments are rare and magic but they are also a sign of hope for the future. Anything that happens once can happen again and allows us to raise our expectations.

AlfalfaMum Wed 17-Aug-11 23:35:33

What a sweet, wise little boy.
I also thought it was lovely your DS reacted so well to him, he knows a kind person when he sees one smile

coff33pot Wed 17-Aug-11 23:40:46

smile I cried too after I wrote this as DCs are long gone bed now.

I had to share it. The child was lovely he was hovering around about 4 ft away and clearly wanted to touch the dog but wasnt sure of asking. Once I said hello we had a wonderful convo about his cats at home etc He had a sister close to his age (I am sure he ws about 6 or 7 I think) who was doing a lot of the talking at first and it was funny to see him frown at her and sort of nudge her out the way as if to say "I have a mouth too you know!" grin

On the beach I was dumbfounded that DS listened to the lad on the way home once leaving the beach he was back to his jumping flaping eye rolling self.

It was brief this interaction and kind of emotional feeling to it. It wasnt half lovely grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 18-Aug-11 00:05:38

Oh, Coff33, I've got tears in my eyes, now. What a magical moment.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 18-Aug-11 00:06:11

Put it in your Happy Boom! grin

wraith Thu 18-Aug-11 02:11:39

thats is very sweet

insanityscatching Thu 18-Aug-11 07:28:27

Oh I've got a lump in my throat now.One to remember for the down days.

cwtch4967 Thu 18-Aug-11 08:23:53

Wonderful !! Moist eyes here too. Stories like these give us all hope.

WilsonFrickett Thu 18-Aug-11 09:53:47

Oh I am so starting the Happy Boom thread now. What a lovely story, I have tears in my eyes.

zzzzz Thu 18-Aug-11 12:21:15

How lovely

coff33pot Thu 18-Aug-11 12:32:40

Great idea Wilson! Bit like our own diary of hope smile

So many trials and stresses its great to have a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak smile

WilsonFrickett Thu 18-Aug-11 14:37:37

smile coffee and thanks for your post. Roll up everyone else! Sunshiney stories of joy just around the corner.

(WTF am I on today???)

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 16:11:53

How very sweet smile

Thats cheered me up, thanks!

coff33pot Thu 18-Aug-11 17:31:16

smile DD is on a sleepover tonite so its just me and DS plus doggie. He asked to go back down to the beach again. Hope the same boy is still on hols.....the urge to kidnap him is tremendous grin

signandsmile Thu 18-Aug-11 18:18:39

that's lovely! grin just a thought if his parents are around you tell them how fab he was... (bet they'd love it)

coff33pot Thu 18-Aug-11 18:22:52

sign I would have done if I could work out who they were smile He was on the beach with his sister and there were a lot of ppl looking over the railings chatting, they were presumably having a nice drink outside the pub or coffee while the kids played. I will keep an eye out for them today x

pigletmania Thu 18-Aug-11 18:48:27

That is wonderful coff33pot smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now