Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First day of high school went well

(49 Posts)
Chummybud1 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:20:43

my son started high school today and all went relatively well.

He made the bus journey without being sick.
He found his way around reasonably well
He liked the teachers.

Only faults
He had no one to sit with at lunch, some older kids sat with him.
He was left himself at break, but he seen some kids running, so he joined in. He does not know why they were running but said it was fun.

He wants to go tomorrow.

purplepidjin Tue 16-Aug-11 19:36:28

Sounds good smile Well done MiniChum!

Mainstream or special school? Does he have staff support? Or a mentor/buddy? What's his diagnosis?

Chummybud1 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:41:17

He has Dcd but is due to see mental health team for anxiety problems.
He is in mainstream school. He does ok but has been around the same kids since pre-school and very rarely mixes with anyone new. When he does he makes very little effort to join in and enjoys his own company, so this is a huge step for him.
He has a lot of support in school and has a couple of older kids who are buddies who have been fab.

coff33pot Tue 16-Aug-11 20:28:08

What a good start! grin

Well done to your DS smile

insanityscatching Tue 16-Aug-11 20:38:18

Well Done young chummy smile

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 17-Aug-11 00:56:45

That's great, Chummy. grin Hopefully he'll find his feet (and some mates) at lunchtime and break in a while. Nervously counting the days here, 18 to go til DS2 starts...

Chummybud1 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:52:20

Ellen try not to worry, I know easier said than done. Fingers crossed all goes well for your son. Let me know how he gets

Chummybud1 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:18:21

Ellen try not to worry, I know easier said than done. Fingers crossed all goes well for your son. Let me know how he gets on.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 17-Aug-11 15:24:56

Thanks, Chummybud. I hope your DS's second day has gone as well as his first.

I've just been buying football boots for DS2 today. Football boots!? He's never kicked a ball in anger in his life! Also bought some springy elasitc laces on insanityscatching's advice which don't need tying.

Chummybud1 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:42:30

My son hates football, in fact he hates all team sports as he is so bad at them. His school has said when the PE involves team sports my son if he wishes can go to the fitness suite and use the machines. I know fitness suite in a secondary school, gone are the days of climbing robes and jumping over horses.lol

My son wears only Velcro shoes, lucky for him they are in at his school.

This is worse part of day, the last half hour before he comes in is such a worry. I think it's because I know he is on school bus which makes him Ill.

purplepidjin Wed 17-Aug-11 16:23:42

<Waits with bated breath>

Hope it went well!

Best of luck ellen

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 17-Aug-11 16:23:50

I think it's going to be suck it and see at DS's school for PE. They'll soon learn how much he's willing and able to do. Luckily he gets less anxious, more unreasonable, which is better for him, just worse for them! grin

Are you allowed to wait out for the bus or must you remain 'unworried and cool' in the house?

Chummybud1 Wed 17-Aug-11 17:13:46

Oh no must wait at home, bus stops at top of our street so can watch him whole time from window.

He had another ok day today. He sat himself at lunch but joined the IT crowd ( I assume computer geeks who play on computer during lunch) older boys took him to it.

He is not mixing with kids his own age at all, bit worrying.

He also came home with a pack offering him the chance to help out at the local stables on a Friday afternoon, he will miss Maths, but as he gets learning support they are going to give him Maths during PE. Do you think I should allow him. I always fight for him to remain in class on a full time table and that they treat him normal as possible, but this is too good.

Will your son say no if he doesn't want to do something as my son will do anything an adult tells him too

purplepidjin Wed 17-Aug-11 17:41:05

Let him do the horses, friday afternoon is a shit time to have maths grin <remembers with horror sitting through double latin at the same time>

coff33pot Wed 17-Aug-11 18:12:31

Good day two went well smile

I would let him do the horses. Its great to be outside and he might interact with some more of his peers that also volounteer too. Its also at the end of the week when kids are usually tired and willing the end of the day to arrive! grin

Chummybud1 Wed 17-Aug-11 18:25:00

Yeah to good to pass up. In honestly he is never going to be a mathematician as he is still only doing very basic stuff, but hey who's to say he won't become a champion jockey, believe me he's small enough.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 17-Aug-11 18:30:52

Ha, and it'll get him out of PE! Win win.

Chummybud1 Fri 19-Aug-11 18:39:45

Well fist were is over and it's all good.

Full week of not being sick on bus although we do have to get up an hour earlier than necessary to take tablet, but worth it.

He has really settled in although he spent his whole weeks dinner money in the first 2 days on cakes. That will teach me for not giving it to him daily.

Today he sat with the kids his own age for lunch, first time this week.

He also joined the IT crowd which means he goes to computing a couple of lunch times a week.

Today he went horse riding and loved it. It was the sn kids that went so that was good as they all have different needs. The teacher told him he is a natural and this pleased him. I can see horses being the next obsession.

I am so proud of him.

WilsonFrickett Fri 19-Aug-11 18:43:45

That is brilliant chummy, glad he got on so well. I would swap horses for PE any time grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 19-Aug-11 18:44:19

And rightly so! What a fab week. Is it RDA? My DS used to go when he was small.

Chummybud1 Fri 19-Aug-11 18:47:50

Me to Wilson. Sorry Ellen not sure what RDA is.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 19-Aug-11 18:53:57

Riding for the Disabled. It's an old fashioned name as they do SN not just physically disabled children.

Chummybud1 Fri 19-Aug-11 19:17:38

I think it is. The stables has only recently opened and it is a group of sn kids that my son is going with, so I would think so. His wee friend has aspergers and he is going.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 19-Aug-11 19:22:41

It's a lovely charity, full of horsey, country types! Not my thing, but brilliant for the children.

lostinwales Fri 19-Aug-11 19:26:05

So glad I found this thread (I presume DCD is developmental coordination delay?) DS1 has this and can get very anxious, he's not at secondary school until Sept 5th and I've mostly been coping by completely ignoring this fact!

Well done for Chummy junior, it must be so overwhelming and he's getting on (seems like small praise when I read it back, but if I can have a couple of days of that in September I'll be dancing in the streets!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now