Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

TTC - ASD in Family

(9 Posts)
LadyKB Mon 15-Aug-11 20:26:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chundle Mon 15-Aug-11 20:51:05

I never knew about a correlation with older fathers where did you hear this? Only asking as my hubby is older. My dd1 ha ADHD with asperger traits and dd2 has autistic traits still under assessment.

Anyway, I have epilepsy, my sister has narcolepsy and my dad has diabetes. However we still had children who display none of these problems that are family linked (although they have other issues). So what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't worry too much about family linked things as none of ours got passed down. Your hubby's genes may counteract anything that is passed down and either way I'm sure you would manage just fine. It's a mothers instinct xx

insanityscatching Mon 15-Aug-11 21:00:47

Prior to ds now 16 being born there was no ASD in our family or my husband's so I never thought about it all. Ds was my fourth child and the others were fine so I had no reason to believe he wouldn't be either. I had an easy pregnancy and my easiest birth but ds was diagnosed at 3 with moderate autism.
When ds was 7 I fell unexpectedly pregnant. I did consider autism for a minute but because ds was thought to be a blip and because I was expecting a girl anyway I still believed that autism wouldn't strike twice. It did though and when dd was 2 she was diagnosed with autism too. My older children have been advised to have genetic counselling before starting a family.
I suppose what I'm saying is that whilst genetics play a part the autism also strikes out of the blue and there are no proven theories to lessen the risk as far as I know.
You could always explore genetic counselling which would give you a better idea of the risk but seeing as there is no antenatal testing nor markers it would only give you a probability not an opportunity to screen any pregnancies.
You know already it can be hard but there's plenty of joy along the way it's up to you though whether you take the leap of faith.
I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

daisysue2 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:12:29

LadyKB have you looked at Simon Barron Cohen's assortative mating theory. Google it, as it helps explains why some people are more likely to have a child with Autism and it's slightly more accessible initially than going through genetic counselling.

Also I'm not really sure if 37 was the age that was talked about as being an older father. I'm sure it was much more men in their late 40s.

lisad123 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:20:41

the thing is you just never know. I have 2 girls with autism, both of which are high functioning, and i have high hopes for the furture (with help). Its weather your prepared to take the risk?
Autism doesnt mean end of life, it just means a different way of living, but with so many joys that come with having children.
We have decided to stop at 2, because we arent ready to risk a 3rd child with ASD.
There are so many disorders now that can happen, if we thought about them all, Im certain no one would have kids at all.

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Aug-11 08:21:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

insanityscatching Tue 16-Aug-11 08:28:26

Ds was born when I was 28 and dh was 35 and dd when I was 35 and dh 42. Ds was born only 21 months after my older dd so I can't imagine dh's age or my age had any bearing tbh.

coff33pot Tue 16-Aug-11 18:07:26

DD was born when I was 36 and DH 33 she is NT. DS was born when I was two months short of 41 and DH was 38 he is being assessed for AS. Maybe it was age related who knows. DH side of the family had one suspected ASD. My side of family has OCD and AS traits, could be that.

I would just go with the flow. I have 3 DCs altogether and only the last has issues.

glimmer Tue 16-Aug-11 19:29:57

I am no expert on autism/ASD. However, I listened to a seemingly well-researched documentary on the radio that claimed:

a) in a big, big study in California (I remember millions?) it was found that being on prenatal vitamins and folic acid before conception reduced the risk of autism/ASP.
b) there was a correlation with the age of the mother. The age of the father only mattered additionally if the mother was older (>35?).
c) Having closely spaces children increased the risk (maybe because of depletion of folic acid? This was just a hypothesis).
I will try and send the link to the radio show. People on here will know if the study mentioned was indeed valid.

In any case, while you might be able to nudge your chances a bit, there won't be certainty, so I understand your concerns and the above does not address them at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now