Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT - any point?

(5 Posts)
survivingsummer Mon 15-Aug-11 20:07:13

DD has co-ordination difficulties mainly affecting her fine motor skills. Now she's 4 I am increasingly aware that her speech is quite slurred at times although she is fluent and mostly understandable to me. Her sounds are all age appropriate although she has a lisp.

Has anyone got a child with slurred speech - can a SALT do anything? I'm worried she'll be teased about it at school and don't want to not do anything if it could be improved confused

beautifulgirls Mon 15-Aug-11 22:08:01

Yes it is worth seeing the SALT....if you can. SALT is like gold dust in most areas to get so I would push now for an appointment via the GP or health visitor asap and see if/when you get to see someone. Often once they start school access to therapy gets even harder and by the looks of it school is just around the corner for her.

WilsonFrickett Mon 15-Aug-11 22:21:45

As Beautiful says, SALT appts are not easy come by so yes, I would def try for one asap. Are you getting any OT support for the fine motor skills? If not, again worth starting the process off.

survivingsummer Tue 16-Aug-11 09:36:24

Thanks both - we have seen both OT and SALT but were signed off a few years ago. I might ring HV and ask for another SALT referral in that case - they sort of left it up to me to re-refer if I felt necessary.

survivingsummer Tue 16-Aug-11 20:02:41

Ok - phoned HV for a referral only to be told there is no longer any SALT in our area due to cuts - great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now