Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

is there a link between hypermobility and dyspraxia?

(11 Posts)
mrsbaffled Mon 15-Aug-11 13:06:12

Hello, just thinking outloud, really. Is there any link/crossover in symptoms between hypermobility and dyspraxia? I am not and expert, but DS(7) seems to have hypermobile knees and elbows.
I am still plucking up the courage to go to the GP requesting a dyspraxia assessment, not sure if I should mention his joints too?

CognitiveDissident Mon 15-Aug-11 13:51:53

Our Paed seems to think so (DS is very hypermobile, Beighton score of 9 and has dyspraxia).
Pain, weakness and impaired sensory feedback from hypermobile joints contribute to Developmental Coordination Disorders/dyspraxia. It's nigh impossible to unpick which of DS' issues are due to hypermobility, and which are due to DCD.

Definitely mention it. Hypermobility by itself can be challenging enough without the added complication of DCD/dyspraxia <speaks from bitter personal experience>

SparkleRainbow Mon 15-Aug-11 14:20:05

My ds has EDS hypermobile type. He does not have dyspraxia, but he has some dyspraxic tendencies. His coordination is very poor, his kinesthetic awareness is very poor, he can not sit, stand or lie still for even a few seconds, he is constantly adjusting his body, but none of the drs can be sure why. A wobble cushion has been a god send to him nboth at home and at school, and we work on his gross motor skills at home, school and with physio to improve coordination and proprioception.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 15-Aug-11 14:56:26

Funnily enough a link between ASD and hypermobility has been discussed on here before. Definitely a link with ASD and Dyspraxia. It seemed that on MN there is a lot of crossover with ASD and hypermobility, but nothing officially recognised by everyone's professionals. Not that you can't get one without the other, of course.

survivingsummer Mon 15-Aug-11 19:58:53

Hi - is discussed on this very useful website I found here www.skillsforaction.com/?q=node/16

My dd has low muscle tone and we were told it had exacerbated a genetic history of hypermobility so she's very floppy in her joints.

janetsplanet Mon 15-Aug-11 20:45:49

both my girls have hypermobility and dyspraxia. when they were diagnosed with dyspraxia (after the HMS) the OT said every child with HMS should be assessed for dyspraxia

mrsbaffled Mon 15-Aug-11 21:13:06

Thanks, all. Very interesting, as always smile

Marne Mon 15-Aug-11 21:22:54

I thought dd1 may have dyspraxia, so took her to the GP, a year later we have finaly got her to the pead and she's now having OT but OT seems to think its just hypermobility and poor muscle tone, she already has a dx of AS and i suspect she has ADD (again i cant get anyone to see her for this).

dolfrog Tue 16-Aug-11 00:01:57

I have just put together a PubMed research paper collection Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and I was surprised to see some of the possible areas of overlap.

auntevil Tue 16-Aug-11 09:03:29

Very interesting Dolfrog - particularly the GI and soiling references.

SparkleRainbow Wed 17-Aug-11 15:26:23

Very interseting dogfrog, I am working on the EDS ones for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now