Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD recurrence risk in siblings

(11 Posts)
graciousenid Mon 15-Aug-11 08:32:48

this is interesting - when I was pregnant with ds2 (now 8 weeks old - how did that happen?!) I was given a 'ballpark' figure for recurrence of 10% for a girl and 30% for a boy; very close to the figures released today (9% for a girl & 26% for a boy).

dd2 is nt, we'll just have to wait & see with ds2.

"The red flags identified should be followed by immediate referral for infant intervention rather than adopting a 'wait-and-see' attitude because early specialized intervention is considered best practice for ASD and may represent the best hope for reducing symptoms and overall disability in high-risk infants who are developing ASD," they wrote."

.... how true that is (& I'm already mentally preparing for a second ABA programme should ds2 start showing signs & we won't be waiting for a diagnosis).

lisad123 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:42:12

its intresting but nothing new sad I know quite a few families now with more than one child with asd, I have 2dds with dx of autism. We have decided no more children for us.
Early intervention is great, dd2 has been very lucky and had hers since 2 years and doing great

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 15-Aug-11 08:43:11

Doesn't surprise me. I've got 2 children (boys) both of them have autism. I'm convinced that autism is genetic.

saintlyjimjams Mon 15-Aug-11 08:50:24

It's more likely if there is a lot of BAP (broader autism phenotype) in the family.

In our family there is no autism, nothing that remotely looks like autism, no slightly odd uncles (and we have a huge family), just ds1 who is severely autistic and regressed. There is a lot of autoimmunity in the family and we have a broad idea of what happened with ds1 so took some steps to avoid that happening again with further children.

We have three boys, only ds1 is autistic (ds3 is now 6 so plenty of time for anything to become obvious). In ds3's case I think we sailed fairly close in the early years - he had the same sort of immune issues as ds1 and some slightly odd development but we were careful about exposure to potential triggers and that seemed to work for him - he's definitely not on the spectrum.

Genetically there are different types of autism, some of those will come with a higher risk, others with a lower (than the average I mean).

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 15-Aug-11 08:55:54

Gosh, that's really interesting, really high. sad We've finished our family, 3 DSs, geeky, ASD and quirky (the new dwarfs!) and were even luckier than we realised. But because it's a spectrum and DS3 probably won't ever get a DX, maybe it could be even higher.

I'd like to know the risks for my potential grandchildren. DS1 is only 13 but has a lovely girlfriend who is as geeky as they come, and she has a cousin with AS. Obviously she's not 'the one' but that's the type of girl he's attracted to, and vice versa, so what chance has he got for NT children? smile

Vinniesbisqwits Mon 15-Aug-11 09:46:37

I didnt know the exact figure thank you , I really cant honestly say if I would have had more dcs or not Ive 3 an older DD and an older DS ,DS3(asd ,dyspraxic) so he was last to come along my 4th pregnancy actually the others are NT , but I have to admit DS3 IS so much work and worry I can see why many wouldnt contemplate more dcs, and I too would like to know the risks of grandchildren as im sure my own Dcs will ask when they are older before starting a family.

graciousenid Mon 15-Aug-11 11:11:10

my paternal grandfather, father & maternal uncle fit clearly into the BAP category - in the next generation (me, my siblings & cousins) there is 1 of 6 affected (my brother) and the generation down (my children & my brother's children - no one else has reproduced) there are 3 of 7 (with ds 2 as an unknown) affected (my ds1, and my brother's dd2 & ds1).

insanityscatching Mon 15-Aug-11 14:08:10

At dd's dx the paed said that should I have another child then the chances would most likely 50/50.
I have ds 1 dyspraxia, ds 2 gifted geeky, dd 1 gifted but nt, ds 3 asd, dd2 asd. He believes we have something on chromosome 15 although from present knowledge chromosomes appear normal.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 15-Aug-11 14:38:52

If you take out the people who are autistic or ASD by chance, ie no inherited cause, it means the chances for us with inherited ASD will be higher than the numbers quoted. Also late DX isn't included, so even higher again. Dies make me worried for grandchildren. DS1 will have to find a lovely girl from HR or PR or something! grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 15-Aug-11 14:39:50

Does make me worried.

ArthurPewty Mon 15-Aug-11 14:50:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now