Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please tell me about the family fund

(7 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 14-Aug-11 08:54:14

I have just seen this whilst searching for something at work. We've had funding twice through the carers centre is that the same?

We are looking into buying our first house and we are having to stick with an expensive area due to DD's needs-the school she is going to be at in sept has put a lot in place for her and been amazingly supportive despite so far not having much in the way of LEA funding yet.

Anyway so the only property we have seen in that area in our price range has a tiny garden which is very overlooked and there would be things we could do to make it more private and make the most of a small space but it would cost money we don't have.

I saw on the family fund website someone had had a sensory garden done with funding fro them and wondered if its the kind of thing they help with or would they see it as us choosing to move into a house with barely any garden?

DD has SLI, a genetic disorder and probably epilepsy/brain damage we are waiting to find out more but I think she would meet their criteria. Due to her various issues she is quite hyperactive and tends to bounce around the house so a garden even if small would be great especially if it was change a bit to make it more enclosed and safer.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 14-Aug-11 14:50:45

I suppose you can only apply and see. They won't fund anything that you should get through education or your pct so you should be ok on that front so long as you fall in the income bracket they cover. I'm guessing you'd have to go on the benefit to your dd's safety and ability to use the garden as the main claim? Do you have a trampoline, dd3 loves hers? We've just applied for the first time so probably not much help.

used2bthin Sun 14-Aug-11 16:25:37

Hi TheNinja, yes we do and dd who usually loves bouncing about hardly ever goes on it! Our garden here is small though so I got a small one and it isn't that good. If we moved to the new place the garden is even smaller so I'd probably just get her one with a handle iyswim and if I could find one strong enough for a five year old.

I suppose I can't apply before we move it'd have to be after? Anyone know the income you need to be under? All I could see on the website was in receipt of ctc or wtc which we are.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 14-Aug-11 17:03:21

that's the criteria currently, it's changed a few times recently, so you'd qualify. I think they often visit you for the first claim so waiting may be the best thing? Good luck with your move, sounds good smile

used2bthin Sun 14-Aug-11 17:06:43

Thank you. Really anxious about it as the rest of the family (extended I mean so they won't be living there)seem to think we should go for somewhere bigger but less close to the school and friends but I think it will be easier to be there even if it means having a smaller less attractive home.

Wonder who assesses because if its someone emplyed by the LEA I may know who that would be.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 14-Aug-11 17:26:11

I'm assuming, being a charity, they have their own assessors seperate from local services. You have to pick what suits you, I can see why you'd want to stay close to a good school, it's nice to have friends just round the corner.

used2bthin Sun 14-Aug-11 17:28:55

Thanks yes you are probably right with the charity thing I think I am confusing it. And yes think location is probably more important than the appearance and size of the house. I hope so anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now