Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Watching things on fast forward

(8 Posts)
Triggles Sat 13-Aug-11 19:42:09

I'm curious to see if anyone else's children do this...

DS2 is constantly watching things on fast forward - on television, on the internet... If he gets his hands on the remote, he cannot seem to resist backing up whatever is on and watching it in fast forward.

He still watches some programmes at normal speed, but seems really intense when watching it speeded up.

This started possibly 6 months ago...he's just turned 5.

Anyone?? I'm baffled.... DH thinks it's a stim kind of thing - something to rev him up or get things moving in his head. That he's looking for visual stimulation.

Ineedalife Sat 13-Aug-11 20:29:54

Oh gosh triggles that brings back memories, Dd1[22] used to watch whole films on rewind. Not quite the same but certainly quirkygrin.

It probably is something to do with visual stimulation I would think.

coff33pot Sat 13-Aug-11 21:24:58

yes could poss be visual stimulation.......DS doesnt watch on fast forward but will turn the sky off so you just got the black and white hiss and stare at it for ages mesmerised till I turn it back on.

sphil Sat 13-Aug-11 22:26:40

This is Ds2's speciality! Not just fast forwarding or rewinding, but choosing a small section of video, DVD or Youtube clip and playing it over and over again. He also gets very intense and stims a lot while doing it.

I have just started to stop him doing it - I let him do it a few times, then take the mouse away and just put my hand over it for a while. Funnily enough he accepts this well - I do wonder if he gets 'stuck' in the compulsion sometimes and welcomes being snapped out of it? We have a DVD player you can lock so he cant rewind and he has also accepted this totally. If I ever forget to put the lock on and catch him rewinding, he just hands me the remote without me even asking!

With him I think its partly visual, partly auditory, as the bits he chooses often have very striking sounds, words or music.

Triggles Sat 13-Aug-11 22:32:46

sphil - yep, he replays it again and again. He will run across the room holding the remote so you have to physically take it from him. We literally have to keep the remote hidden. There's no rhyme or reason to what programmes or anything. It's generally kids tv, as that's what's on when he is watching television. But not anything extraordinary. He'll do it with any programme, as soon as he gets his hands on the remote.

signandsmile Sun 14-Aug-11 08:20:19

its rewind for ds, he enjoys Mr tumble, but for a real treat he gets to watch it forwards normal speed, and then backwards on fast rewind... hmm

BabeRuthless Sun 14-Aug-11 11:46:58

This sounds like the kind of thing ds would do given half a chance. He did go through a phase of wanting to watch the same 5 seconds of a film over & over again. We put the mockers on that after it got to the point where Finding Nemo was taking over 2 hours due to the constant rewinding.

We have to pause everything when he goes out of the room (thank god for sky plus) even if it's something he's not interested in.

used2bthin Thu 18-Aug-11 22:49:39

DD (nearly -SLI amongst other issues) has just started to do this. I'd seen this thread title (maybe she did too!!)DP wants to discourage it as he is worried she'll get obsessed and want to only watch like that but I think with the amount of TV she's watched this holiday that it is at least giving more time with no tv noise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now