Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Son missing a dose of Prozac

(19 Posts)
Toffeefudgecake Sat 13-Aug-11 12:51:52

Does anyone know if this will make him ill? The trouble is he has woken up with a high temperature and is feeling sick. He refuses to take any medication at all, including Calpol. He's just lying in bed, with a bucket next to him, sleeping on and off. But I'm worried that missing a dose of Prozac (which he takes for OCD and other anxiety issues) will make him feel even worse.

Does anyone know whether missing a single dose will have any effect?

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 13-Aug-11 13:03:25

they tell you if you miss a dose just leave it and take at correct time next day, but id get doc out if you cant get calpol or ibuprofen down him as you need to get the temp down how about cold flannel and a fan on

Marne Sat 13-Aug-11 13:19:12

I think it can cause people to feel sick if they miss a dose, i'm on anti-d's (not prozac) but it says on the leaflet that if you stop taking or miss a dose you can feel sick and get hot swets.

You could phone NHS direct and ask?

Hope he feels better soon.

Toffeefudgecake Sat 13-Aug-11 14:33:47

Thanks. Am trying cold flannel and fan, Vinnie. I think I'll phone emergency dr for advice or, failing that, NHS Direct, Marne. I've tried googling it, but haven't found any answers.

He's still refusing to take anything, including water sad.

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 13-Aug-11 14:42:08

oh well thats bad for obvious reasons yep ring NHS hope hes ok toffee

devientenigma Sat 13-Aug-11 18:09:33

Hi toffee my ds is on prozac also and often misses a dose due to refusal. I have even seen dh giving him the wrong dose (double) NHS direct said to just watch him for side effects, he also has a heart condition etc.
I agree with Marne about the side effects of missing a dose, however if he's ill anyway it could be a mixture. That said he needs water even if it's sips or rubbed around his mouth with a foam pad. HTH

Toffeefudgecake Sat 13-Aug-11 21:04:51

Thanks, Devientenigma. That's comforting for me to know, though it must be very difficult for you if DS refuses his dose. Luckily, my DS always takes it, which is odd as he usually refuses medication. I think he must know that this is helping him.

I should have asked the psychiatrist about what to do if an occasion such as this happened, but it didn't occur to me.

DS is still refusing prozac or Calpol, but he is having sips of water from a straw now. His temperature has dropped to 100. He has slept all day. I haven't seen him this ill for a long, long time.

Now that I've put DS2 to bed, I'm sitting with DS, so I can deal with him if he feels sick or gets sweats. I hope he doesn't. It may be a long night!

wraith Sun 14-Aug-11 03:01:37

i was on prozac for years missing doeses isnt too big an issue its an anti depresent not a phamacutical that can cause such massive problems it can have mild withdrawl effects but nothing ive heard of like that

Toffeefudgecake Sun 14-Aug-11 12:46:06

That's reassuring to hear, Wraith. I managed to persuade DS to take his dose this morning, but he brought it all up again.

wraith Sun 14-Aug-11 23:18:30

sound more liek an alergy or a virus, i wouldnt rule anything out visit the docs
tell them about the missed dose but in my time i missed doses taken extra by mistake never anythign extreme came of it. it could be an adverse reaction but his system must be extrmely sensitive for that

Toffeefudgecake Sun 14-Aug-11 23:21:06

He's been fine with the Prozac so far (five weeks), so I'm sure it was simply that he was too ill to keep anything down.

Am visiting the dr tomorrow.

It's very reassuring to hear that you didn't have any problems with missing doses/taking extra, Wraith.

wraith Mon 15-Aug-11 01:48:14

medications are allways a worry especially when paired with something violent

miss a dose and be unable to keep anything down , naturally lends itself to be the worse case possible and as allways when concerened ask

Toffeefudgecake Mon 15-Aug-11 16:30:34

Took DS to the dr this morning. He has tonsillitis and has been given penicillin. I asked the dr about DS missing his doses of prozac (third day running now) and he said that he might get a headache and/or feel a bit sick, but nothing too bad and not to worry.

DS managed to swallow his first two doses of antibiotics and keep them down. He has been sleeping lots and sucking on ice cubes when he's awake. The ABs should take a couple of days to kick in. Might try the prozac again tomorrow morning.

sneezecakesmum Mon 15-Aug-11 18:44:31

Try lots of ice lollies/ ice pops, even ice cream to keep his fluids up. He will perk up eventually, but quicker if he is well hydrated. Dont worry about the prozac, its not like insulin or anything life threatening. And anyway the way I look at these things is - what can i do about it anyway?? if the answer is nothing i dont worry. Its not like you can give prozac in an injection, suppository or a tube down his nose!. will try a link for you this

Toffeefudgecake Mon 15-Aug-11 19:13:48

Have made some orange ice lollies already, Sneezecakes! I feel the same way - I can't do anything about him not being able to take the prozac.

I had a look at the link (thank you) and it says that sudden withdrawal may cause his symptoms to return. He is very anxious today and his OCD symptoms have suddenly worsened, so that's probably why. Useful to know though.

Toffeefudgecake Tue 16-Aug-11 00:36:21

Well, now I know what happens when DS misses prozac for three days or more - his OCD symptoms return and worse than ever, it seems sad. This afternoon, he has been performing rituals (running up and down the stairs to his room) and washing his hands over and over. This evening we settled down to watch a film together and my hand brushed against his. He asked me if I had just injected him with poison. I said that was his OCD talking and it was a 'junk' thought, not a sane one (we are reading a book on OCD for children which refers to OCD thoughts as 'junk'). He agreed, but then carried on talking about it and asking me if I would hurt him. He was also distressed because he'd touched a scab on his ankle which he thought would make him ill.

As he's now managed to keep down his ABs plus a half glass of Complan, DH and I decided to give him a dose of prozac. I'll give him another tomorrow and hope that starts to calm him down.

He's meant to only be on prozac for six to seven months, in combination with CBT, but when I see him like this I wonder how he can ever come off it.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has a child on prozac - whether it helped, how long they were on it, side effects, etc. Or maybe I should start a new thread on that. I feel very despondent when I see how much he needs it to live a normal life.

devientenigma Tue 16-Aug-11 08:04:37

toffee I would start a new thread on it. My ds has been on prozac for about 8 month, he was also supposed to be having CBT but due to his severe learning disabilities they are not giving him CBT. I don't know if the prozac is of any use as he rarely takes it and obviously there has been no change in him. As for a normal life for us, possibly never x

Toffeefudgecake Tue 16-Aug-11 09:21:41

Oh, devient, that's sad. I'm sorry. I hope your son gets the help he needs and that you have support for yourself too.

Toffeefudgecake Tue 16-Aug-11 10:43:47

New thread here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now