Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chewing furniture

(10 Posts)
chuckeyegg Sat 13-Aug-11 07:52:16

This started about 4 months ago I hoped it would pass but it hasn't tried visuals and alternatives to chew and no luck. He likes chewing wood, he even has a go at dirty old fences when out if he can. My in-laws have a house in Cornwall but I can't take him there while we have this problem because he destroying things. I'd love to go there for half term, any ideas?

Claw3 Sat 13-Aug-11 08:11:34

Have you tried a vibrating face massager or electric toothbrush? or face and jaw massage?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 13-Aug-11 09:45:47

Sorry, no advice, just sympathy. My DS chewed our dining room chairs, teeth marks, no varnish left and they eventually went black. (We've got new ones now!) He chewed his bed as well, looks terrible but still works. He did this for about a year and just grew out of it. He'd chew the dining room chairs when he wasn't closely supervised, playing on the computer. Soft pine was his favourite, he had to be able to dent it, harder wood was safe from him!

daisysue2 Sat 13-Aug-11 12:19:22

My dd now 11 had this problem she still chews sequins etc but the problem is almost over. She chewed the inside of our brand new car bite marks all over the inside of it. It changed when she did regular OT. She wasn't getting the sensory feedback that she needed and could only get it from the chewing. After a series of exercises it calmed down her chewing. Now she occasionally has a few little things in her mouth. But it was a major issue until the OT helped to calm it all down.

Visuals and alternative to chew didn't help with her as she needed the sensory feedback. The OT was more about doing heavy exercises such a carrying heavy objects, pushing on the floor (press up type exercises), froggy jumps, handstands, jumping over a line in the garden from side to side. The only alternative to chewing that did help were chewing gum and those caramel wafer biscuits.

chuckeyegg Sat 13-Aug-11 16:09:25

Thanks for all your answers, I'd forgotton about my car door where he sits that looks like a rat's been at it. We have our first OT appointment on Thursday so will see if she can give us some exercises.

daisysue2 Sat 13-Aug-11 16:33:38

Chucky that's so funny I thought it was only my car that had happened to. It sounds as if you are on the right track and I hope OT can help you out. If not do come back on here, some OTs aren't great. Do ask about sensory intergration as some OTs don't do it.

nenevomito Sat 13-Aug-11 22:44:13

My DS does the same. We looked at getting him a new bed, but DH turned round and said "I just can't spend that much money on something he's going to eat". His favourite thing is wood, but the OT has turned down our referral as they don't see what they can do about that (or his lack of fine motor skills either actually, which I thought was their job GRRRR)

I've bought him his own set of wooden spoons to chew. I'm still worried about splinters, but since he's already done the bannisters, his bed, his sisters bed, the dining room chairs and his sisters wooden toys, I guess that if it was going to happen it would have done by now.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 13-Aug-11 23:07:08

Hi Babyheave. I was thinking about your DS and his school's book box! I've never heard of OTs having exercises to help with this. It's a very interesting thread. Perhaps some sensory integration like daisysue mentions would be good, but your OT doesn't sound like she's the one to provide it.

nenevomito Sat 13-Aug-11 23:12:24

I don't think we have anything made of wood in our house that doesn't have DS's teethmarks in it somewhere.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 13-Aug-11 23:21:02

Yes, coffee table corners, chairs, beds, shelves, bedside tables. All soft pine, mostly Ikea shit. He did stop, eventually, but we didn't replace anything until a couple of years ago, not worth replacing it if he chewed it again. It's like when they are toddlers, no point having anything nice. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now