Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I am SICK of changing DS.

(12 Posts)
WhoWhoWhoWho Fri 12-Aug-11 19:26:58

That is all. sad

I am fed up with the smell, the job of it, his incredulous sulky strop everytime and the "how did you know" moody response of his when I announce we are off to the bathroom to change him hmm, the second sulk when we wash our hands and the fussing in case the water is hot, the taking the soiled pull ups out to the wheely bin at the bottom of the garden so the house smells marginally less shitty than if I put them in the kitchen bin. I am sad he isn't in underpants. I'm annoyed at myself that I'm feeling annoyed.

Rant over. blush

nadia77 Fri 12-Aug-11 19:47:10

awwwwwwww sorry you feel frustrated dont worry he will learn mine is the same does weee in the toilet but still does very smelly poo in the pull up or worse will go and hide in the corner and poo in pants i'm sure they will grow out of it!

WhoWhoWhoWho Fri 12-Aug-11 20:14:06

Sorry for clearing off, had to see to DS.

Thanks for replying, I did used to feel like that, now I just feel rather cynical, jaded, and fed up with it all! I'm scared he'll be like this forever!

How old is your DS? Mine is 7 in October.

ouryve Fri 12-Aug-11 20:45:31

I can promise, there will be an end. DS1 is finally dry and doing his poos in the loo and wearing pants. He's 7 1/2 grin He was ready and we've bribed the hell out of him!

That still leaves me with 5 year old DS2 who occasionally strips off his dirty nappies and frequently turns nappy changing into an oh so hilarious game where he kicks and slaps me, until I demonstrate the shower to him and remind him that if he keeps on going, we'll need to use it to clean up the pooey mess. He hates it enough to eventually comply.

auntevil Fri 12-Aug-11 20:49:51

My only consolation is that i have no sense of smell - or I too would have to take pull-ups outside each time - not just at the end of the day. Slight bright side of me having to do all the changing is that DH has a very acute sense of smell grin . I have 2 still soiling at the mo - 6.5 and 4 .
School for the youngest say they will have no problems changing etc - but I don't think they quite reckon on the consistency (liquid) and smell (vomit inducing - apparently).
Rant away whowhowhowho - YANBU - and I might join you.

WhoWhoWhoWho Fri 12-Aug-11 21:20:46

Do any of your dcs take meds for their bowels? Mine is on Movicol and Sodium Picosulfate, he's had the vicious cycle of constipation and withholding since he was a toddler so no he's on these and still actively tries to hold it in. He's adamant he doesn't want to poo and argues with me that it's not healthy while I try to change his mind that it is. hmm

He has a TA at school who changes him when needed - IMO she does not get paid enough.

Some times I feel like the only mum in the world going through this and that it must be me, so replies from parets in similar situations is very reassuring. It's not nice to know lots of us are going through this but at least we know we are not alone!

Claw3 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:38:23

My ds is 7, he did take Movicol, but this seemed to make it worse, just meant he was pooing himself, more often.

He doesnt wear nappies and does attempt to clean himself up, with a whole box of wet wipes and a mirror, he has to have a full length mirror so he can see.

glimmer Fri 12-Aug-11 21:44:21

Hi Who. I don't know your circumstances and I am not an expert in your issue. My DS (NT) is refusing to wash hands, brush teeth etc and threw tantrums. One day I lost it and yelled that I don't like to to this things either.
Later I took him to the side and explained that I hate brushing his teeth/washing his hand/wiping his butt and that I much prefer to play with him instead. He totally got and hence at least all the resistance/sulking is gone
most/some of the time. Would that work?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 12-Aug-11 23:23:28

Sorry, Who. You're certainly not the only one. sad DS2 is 11, he's in pants but he still soils daily, not a lot but enough for me to notice it. He goes to the toilet, when prompted, changes his pants and wipes with Kandoo, and leaves his dirty ones by the toilet. So progress of a sort, but I am sick to death of the smell of poo.

WhoWhoWhoWho Sat 13-Aug-11 10:24:00

The hairbrushing and toothbrushing are now just met with minor moaning and whinging resistance - he has learnt toothbrushing is healthy the hard way by having rotten baby teeth pulled when he was four sad. He understands that it's healthy now but still doesn't like it. He knows I don't like to do it either but that we all have to. He just doesn't care and thinks this is all completely unfair.

He has pull ups on prescription now but we did try a spell of wearing pants - it just meant his clothes, bedding, sofa, etc all smelt pooey too so we reverted back to pull ups. I sometimes put a pair of underpants on his overnight if his bottom is sore, but he now says he doesn't like to wear them because they feel different.

"I am sick to death of the smell of poo" Yep. I totally know how you feel. sad

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 13-Aug-11 13:19:47

who its often they dont get the sensation of needing to go that puts them way behind peers all part of sensory issues and my ds used to tell me he hadnt done anything and would pplay happily for hours in a full pull up or underware and he would hold on to poo for days at a time, throw complete meltdowns if made to sit on the loo i was at my wits end with meds from the doc trying to make him go he was still wet in the day too then he finally peed in the loo , it still took a few more years before we sort of cracked the poo he was still marking at 9 but holding it till bedtime and doing a poo in our blue toilet his favorite loo confused he wont go poo when we are out and holds it if we are away from home even for a weekend till he gets home to HIS loo , id worry myself silly over it , cry hes going to make himself ill, tried everything imaginable to get him to go
hes now nearly 12 has 99% time got the toilet thing sorted he still goes on the same loo only at home paed nurse said thats quite common, he has over last few months started pooing sometimes in middle of the day grin and atm im finally at 11 getting him dry at night, we tried for years but he just wasnt ready.
i totally know about the pullups and poo in undies how awful and angry you feel how useless and rubbish you think you are, its not you and its not your dcs fault, he will only do it when hes ready and when it matters to him IYKWIM he has to want to.
in the end i stopped the pull ups in the day however messy and just brought cheap undies from the supermarket and threw them away if he soiled them
what could be worse than undies in a bucket sinking and the stench of poo on your hands (boak).

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 13-Aug-11 13:21:37

stinking i mean [oops]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now