Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

foods they will or wont eat

(23 Posts)
Vinniesbisqwits Thu 11-Aug-11 16:24:47

my DS has so few foods he will eat but thought I would start the thread off with a rhyme

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life,
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.

WilsonFrickett Thu 11-Aug-11 16:35:43

<clears throat>

I don't like spagetti, or penne or mac
Linguine, lasagne, they really are cack
Say blah! to farfalle
Show tortellini the door.
But if it's fusilli - I'll scoff it then ask you for more.

I am still highly hmm over DS refusal to contenance other types of pasta. Spirals or the way or 'it isn't pasta!'. grin

Vinniesbisqwits Thu 11-Aug-11 16:43:38

I cant get DS3 to try pasta along with 99.999 % of the worlds foods though, hes never tried anything with a sauce on it as he hates ketchup and he thinks well thats a sauce isnt it mummy, I dont like that so I dont like any sauces , I suppose some logic there... or have I spent too many years being conditioned by DS grin im now actually starting to believe this stuff

TotalChaos Thu 11-Aug-11 16:44:53

am no good at the pomes, but this thread is just crying out for this link:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMtaiv4-yC4&feature=related

TotalChaos Thu 11-Aug-11 16:46:02

aaagh sorry, that link didn't work, I was trying to link to Weird Al Yankovic Eat It, a genius parody of Beat It.

Vinniesbisqwits Thu 11-Aug-11 16:49:49

Its working TotalChaos grin just had to slide it on a bit as he was being interviewed first

insanityscatching Thu 11-Aug-11 16:49:55

Ds only eats burgers (a specific sort, only in fours and only from a blue plate) Dairy Milk, dry bread or toast and rarely a few cornflakes again dry.
He refuses everything else and would rather starve than try anything. Paed did once admit him to hospital convinced that eventually he'd relent, he was discharged 5 days later having not eaten a thing.

Vinniesbisqwits Thu 11-Aug-11 16:59:41

thats exactly same as my DS when he was a baby he at first ate everything he started this at age 2 when we also started noticing missing milestones and having speech problems , I think he started regressing , he now only eats about 6 foods at any given time when ones discarded it is replaced with another but so far nothing really very good for him , the only things he has that are really good is fresh orange juice (no bits) and milk , but most of his diet is meat no fruit veg or bread type products except he will change from toast and peanut butter (the only way he eats bread) to Croissant now and again and will after a few months then change to ready brek (no lumps) then its meat and angel cake for lunch , meat for dinner gags on anything else , so he has vitamin supplements.

insanityscatching Thu 11-Aug-11 17:14:05

Yes ds dropped things from about 18 months and never manages more than 4 or five at any one time. Roast chicken generally swaps for burgers, matchmakers replace the Dairy Milk and heaven help me if there is a change of packaging or recipe. He too is on vitamins but is slim and really fit and healthy despite the diet.

Vinniesbisqwits Thu 11-Aug-11 18:31:47

yes the packagings a bloody nightmare isnt it, and the sudden change in whats ok and whats not ive had a freezer full of chicken dinosaurs no one else would eat when DS decides its now time for bacon only confused and a huge jar of skippy from costco he decided he didnt like when I had first opened it and he went back to ready brek instead

insanityscatching Thu 11-Aug-11 19:50:23

We have a mountain of matchmakers because he drops them overnight so everybody has had a box with every card I've written and I've still got a stash of twenty boxes.When he finished school they sent home six packs of chocolate digestives because that is all he'll eat at school. They are still in the cupboard because he won't eat them at home! Even with the Dairy Milk he likes a certain size bar so there is no taking advantage of offers.It drives me mad sometimes. I remember when he was into Alphabetti spagehetti and he'd eaten the twenty tins we'd taken with us dh had to make a sixy mile trip for supplies from the nearest Sainsburys because he wouldn't eat the Tesco sort that we bought.

mumslife Thu 11-Aug-11 23:22:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vinniesbisqwits Fri 12-Aug-11 13:59:35

atm he eats
ready brek (no lumps sugar even)
fresh orange juice (same brand and no bits)

lunch
billy bear
walkers salt and vinegar crisps(no other brand or flavour)
orange high juice (one brand)
chocolate muffin (one brand)

billy bear
was fresh chicken and bacon for months
this is atm replaced with mccain fries (first time eaten chips of any kind)

fresh orange juice or milk and angel cake

this is all he eats sad

we try adding extra things on side (sep bowl or plate as nothing can touch) but gags on anything other than these atm even if something in past he previously would/could eat

he says trying to explain it makes him feel sick if strong flavours or they change the flavour slightly of anything and hes actually scared if has weird taste or texture (he hates things too crunchy like crinkle crisps)
he discards dark bit odd bits funny colours hard edges he says they taste weird and feel funny on his tongue and its scary

Claw3 Fri 12-Aug-11 16:14:31

Vinnie, i know the feeling all too well. Ds eats

Breakfast
Cheerios (no milk)

Lunch
Dry bread

Dinner
Dry bread

Snacks of salt and vinegar crisps, ice cream and will only drink apple juice. He will eat certain cakes, biscuits and sweets too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Aug-11 17:03:22

DS currently eats:-

white bread
toast (dry)
croissants (has only started recently to eat all of it)
french baguette (only the bread, not the crust)
nice biscuits (only one brand is acceptable)
dairylea cheese sandwiches (no other cheese)
margherita pizza (only two types are acceptable)
plain hamburgers from Mcds (no others are acceptable)]
Salmon in the form of sushi (!). This is his most recent addition which he decided to try himself after seeing us eat it several times.

insanityscatching Fri 12-Aug-11 17:06:35

At least I'm not alone grin

mumslife Fri 12-Aug-11 22:11:31

insanityscatching Sat 13-Aug-11 09:18:39

Ds will eat plain hamburgers from Mcdonalds too, we have to check it's definitely plain though before he gets it because if he spotted something on it he'd never eat them again and they are what keeps his calorie intake up some weeks.

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 13-Aug-11 13:54:05

haha ds only burger plain mcd no sause or onion or pickle , and if we cook burger in bap that looks same he says its vile and wont touch it wont eat the fries though.

mumslife Sat 13-Aug-11 21:57:33

Trixiebix Sun 14-Aug-11 00:01:02

Very similar thread done here a few weeks ago-see page 5-and the odd thing a few of us found was that our dcs absolutely adore salt.(go to last page of it). Just wondering if there's something in this strange fact or not?Anyone else here found this?

mumslife Sun 14-Aug-11 12:47:31

bedheadz Sun 14-Aug-11 13:33:26

ds eats plain fusili pasta, cheese, sausages, macaroni cheese, chicken nuggets, alpha bites, spread cheese, rice, chocolate, bacon (no fat must be on it), supernoodles, chips but only thin fries, white bread (but only floppy bread WTF) cereal, crumpets and pancakes.

He wont eat fruit or veg inc potatoes, sauce of any description.

Everything has got to be the same brand, I gave him different brand of macaroni looked the same, smelt the same (puke) but as soon as he tasted it he knew.

He smells all food before tasting it, He asked to taste roast chicken a couple of weeks ago and loved it, I thought yaay a breakthrough but he has refused since. I would agree that it was around the age of two when he started to refuse foods and gradually it reduced to the rubbish food he eats now. He looks fairly healthy though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now