Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Melatonin and Vallergan

(7 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 10-Aug-11 15:46:18

How many weeks does it take to get to the optimal point in the body to work at it's best? Basically how long do you give it before trying something else?

cerealmother Wed 10-Aug-11 16:41:46

Melatonin should work almost immediately. DS4 (11.2) has 5 mg melatonin and 25 mls phenergan per night.

How long have you been trying it?

ArthurPewty Wed 10-Aug-11 19:35:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nappyaddict Thu 11-Aug-11 03:46:33

My friend's DS has started on melatonin but it doesn't seem to be having any effect so far but she was told it can take a few weeks to balance out the serotonin levels and have full effect.

davidsotherhalf Thu 11-Aug-11 07:59:15

we tried vallergan for dd a few yrs ago and it had opposite affect on her she was running and bouncing and jumping on furniture all night, we tried some different makes of melatonin after this, we found that the only melatonin that worked for her was the kidnaps brand, nobody could understand why the brand made any difference so i looked into it, found out that kidnaps brand was slightly different, it has a minute ammount of alcohol in it. kidnaps works from day one.

Claw3 Thu 11-Aug-11 08:37:50

Both should work instantly.

Ds was prescribed vallergan first (this is used as a pre-med in hospital) he was asleep pretty quickly, although next day, he was very groggy and i stopped using it.

Melatonin, this is a nature hormone found in the body and ds didnt have side effects. Ds took it for a month, it worked pretty quickly too, especially the first night he took it. We used it to reset his body clock.

I was told if Melatonin didnt work i could increase to 9mg, but i didnt need to. Although i did notice that during the course of the month, ds was able to stay awake longer.

sneezecakesmum Thu 11-Aug-11 18:44:44

They should both work pretty quickly although melatonin sometimes needs a gradual increase til the right dose is reached.

DGS has melatonin and it gets him off to sleep, but does not keep him there! (syrup). Tried 5mg phenergan and no effect. The same dose for me puts me in a coma for 8 hours + 12 groggy waking hours! He only weighs 11Kg grin whats that all about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now