Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone see DIY SOS last night? ASD

(19 Posts)
smugtandemfeeder Wed 10-Aug-11 12:33:51

Just watching it on iplayer now. Mums child has ASD. My playworker said they made a nice shed for him to have a safe space. Programme looks good so far.

It was a real tearjerker at the end, smugtandemfeeder - the lad's reaction when he saw his new home, and particularly his new shed, was amazing. It was a lovely programme!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 10-Aug-11 14:03:17

He was so excited, reminded me of my DS when he's excited, but this lad was a bit more coherent.

pramsgalore Wed 10-Aug-11 14:34:44

it made me cry, it was lovely, he was so happy, they did a brill job, my ds would love a shed!!!!!

ouryve Wed 10-Aug-11 15:03:02

He's was so excited by all the new stuff, wasn't he? Love how he said at first "this is not my house" but later said "this is the best house I've ever been in!"

DS1 would have been so jealous of the road signs and traffic lights!

unpa1dcar3r Wed 10-Aug-11 15:58:00

I missed last nights but they came up the road to me last yr and did the big build, whole house, for a local fella and his 4 kids.
My girls went and got Billy to ring me up haha cos He's my fave! We had a very nice chat about his grand daughter and mine...
Daughters ex and some local lads we know worked on the house with them and the guys are all really lovely and treated the helpers to slap up meals everyday and then took them all out on the raz on the last night too.

chuckeyegg Wed 10-Aug-11 16:40:12

It's on the iplayer here

I loved Thomas! I have a tear in my eye. I work 1 minute away from that and my team volunteer at the local ASD respite centre doing work in their garden and playground area. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have met Thomas smile

ArthurPewty Wed 10-Aug-11 19:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Wed 10-Aug-11 20:08:30

Watched it on iplayer couple hours ago. Thomas reminded me so much of my boy. Was choking back the tears with his mum and the builders! His happy face was a real picture smile

Marne Wed 10-Aug-11 20:18:44

I'm watching it now smile, tissues at the ready.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 10-Aug-11 20:21:51

The reveal to Thomas is definitely the best bit. smile

smugtandemfeeder Wed 10-Aug-11 20:22:26

It was so lovely. Its unusual to see a little piece of life on tv from someone who has a child with Autism. I thought Nick Knowles was excellent, he was saying the right sort of things. I can see why her home ended up like that, mine is being trashed. I dont know how anyone keeps their house nice living with ASD DC.

Loved the boys reaction at the end, made me cry too.

cwtch4967 Thu 11-Aug-11 08:17:21

I saw this thread then watched it on iplayer! It was so lovely to see Thomas just being himself! My DS is almost 4 with ASD and LD I hope he will be like Thomas when he is that age.............

chuckeyegg Thu 11-Aug-11 13:22:52

I watched it too, it had me in tears at the end in a good way. smile

unpa1dcar3r Thu 11-Aug-11 20:26:52

This is one of the reasons I love DIY SOS, Not only do they do a 'proper' job and not some copydex and staples crap but they tend to do houses for those who really deserve some help.
They do loads for disabled kids and it's always a delight to see their little faces light up and the faces of their parent/carers, some of the burden and strain eased.
And they're such a great bunch of blokes (and women!)

InfestationofLannisters Thu 11-Aug-11 22:39:18

Just finished watching and typing through a haze of happy tears.

What a wonderful little chap Thomas is.

Thanks for the link smile

Nanny0gg Fri 12-Aug-11 00:29:14

<sniff>
smile

That was lovely!

colditz Fri 12-Aug-11 00:57:21

<<sob>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now