Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

any ideas re taking pills

(8 Posts)
raspberrytart Tue 09-Aug-11 13:20:32

hi, was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding my ds and his circadin slow release tablets.he wont swallow them whole so therefore dont work. we dont have access to liquid so thats not an option.i did wonder if hidden in ice cream might help as he wont chew it. sleep deprivation is not good for any of us!. thanks

zzzzz Tue 09-Aug-11 14:53:57

Go with the ice-cream....Why On earth was he dispensed a slow release pill if he won't take pills. You need to go back to whoever prescribed him and say this won't work.

In the meantime try the ice-cream.

How old is he?
How good is his understanding?

If he is older with at least basic understanding explain it to him. Practice with rolled up bits of bread or something non-threatening and give him a prize for doing it if he does manage.

If he is non verbal or unreasonable the only option is in food as crushing and squirting is not possible with a slow release because it would make it a fast release!

BrigadeOfLannisters Tue 09-Aug-11 14:54:57

Shite isn't it? My DS hasn't slept through in over four years.

The liquid Melatonin doesn't work and we are pinning hopes on the tablet.

Tasty vitamin tablets?

Vinniesbisqwits Tue 09-Aug-11 18:03:50

anything sweet he likes or a bribe afterwards is how I do it now take tablet and get a small packet of choc buttons , i still most of time get everything in liquid form whenever poss

cankles Tue 09-Aug-11 18:51:48

we use petit filous and on the odd occasion ds2, when we have run out of yoghurts (forgotten to buy) will take it with a chopped up apple x

raspberrytart Tue 09-Aug-11 22:13:27

he is 6 next month.
chewed them in ice cream tonight.
will try rolled up bread and a prize
He is sleeping now but not looking foreward to the early hours and beyond.
Thanks all

raspberrytart Tue 09-Aug-11 22:27:18

he is 6 next month.
chewed them in ice cream tonight.
will try rolled up bread and a prize
He is sleeping now but not looking foreward to the early hours and beyond.
Thanks all

MissKittyEliza Wed 10-Aug-11 22:10:40

I crush ds just half a tablet, 1mg. I mix with yoghurt. It's still foul so I follow it up with a Haribo jelly heart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now