Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Problem with occular tracking picked up by OT today

(7 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 06-Aug-11 14:57:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 06-Aug-11 15:02:49

hi interesting reading ive been looking into this

www.tobii.com/en/analysis-and-research/global/research/developmental-psychology/

they have not mentioned it to me but ill watch the thread with interest and wonder if this is why my dc had so much trouble learning to read hmm

LeninGrad Sat 06-Aug-11 16:57:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dolfrog Sat 06-Aug-11 17:28:09

Hi LeninGrad,

This is one of the issues which is par of the visual cognitive subtype of dyslexia, you might find this research paper provides some useful information,
Impaired tuning of a fast occipito-temporal response for print in dyslexic children learning to read
I hope it helps

IndigoBell Sat 06-Aug-11 17:37:18

Lenin - occular tracking is really easy to fix. A behavioural optometrist will pick this up, and vision therapy will cure it - but basically all you have to do is practicse tracking grin

The main exercise my kids do is read the first word (or letter) of a line and then the last word (or letter) of the line, for a whole page. We do a couple of minutes of that every night.

Another exercise is just to hold your index finger out and move that backwards and forwards and watch it.

Some computer games (like the old fashioned ping pong game) are also good for it.

Basically, the eye muscles are a bit weak, and just need a bit of practise to strengthen them.

If you don't strengthen them, then it will affect his reading.

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 06-Aug-11 17:37:37

I used to work as an optical assistant they used muscle and visual exercises but ive found this here:

www.eyecanlearn.com/

hth

Ineedalife Sat 06-Aug-11 18:37:55

A bit of good news, Dd2 had severe tracking issues when she was little and at 7 could not copy or read much, she used to skip words and lines and could never keep her place on a page.

she wore coloured lenses in her glasses for a while but hated them and did visual tracking exersises, basically simple maths questons with the answers floating around on the screen, so she had to catch them wiht the curser.

When last test at 12 her reading age matched her chronological age. She is now wrking towards GCSE'ssmile.

Try not to be too worried about your Ds lenin, as indigo said it can be sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now