Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia/dcd and peddling!

(8 Posts)
feynman Sat 06-Aug-11 13:32:10

How do you get children with dyspraxia/dcd to learn to pedal. I don't mean going without stabilsers just actually pedaling. Also if you have children who have managed this, what age where they when they were able to do it.
Cheers

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 06-Aug-11 16:12:03

DS has ASD rather than Dyspraxia but it took him ages to get peddling. We found he was better on a bike with stabilisers rather than a trike. Something about his legs going down rather than forward. Also a bike with pedals that couldn't freewheel, so they go round if the bike is moving. HTH

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 06-Aug-11 16:12:59

He was about 5. Took stabilisers off at 8.

Vinniesbisqwits Sat 06-Aug-11 16:18:56

DC still cant hes ASD, Dyspraxic now hes to scared to even try after falling off he has helmet elbow and knee pads but he wont eventry a Balance bike sad

looneytoons Sat 06-Aug-11 17:30:00

Mine was about 6 when he learnt to pedal. He never learnt to ride without stabilisers.

survivingsummer Sat 06-Aug-11 20:03:45

My dd isn't dyspraxic but has similar co-ordination difficulties and low muscle tone. She learned to pedal at 3 yrs though partly because we tried lots of bikes and found one with a smaller turning circle that she could manage.

create Sat 06-Aug-11 20:22:20

DS1 isn't dyspraxic, but has some co-ordination problems, although no diagnosed SN, (unless hypermobility counts, which it doesn't)

He out grew a trike two bikes before he learned to pedal. In the end his OT taught him to ride a bike. First by removing the pedals and treating the bike as a balance bike and once the pedals were replaced, on a slight downhill slope to begin with. It took a week of 1 hour sessions everyday. He was 8. Now at 10 he's never off the bike - I never thought the day would come.

In hindsight I really should have left it alone when he was small and let him stick to his scooter /got him a balance bike until he was ready. We had shouting and tears at the prospect of even getting on it - If it wasn't for the fab OT, I'm still not sure it would ever have happened.

TheTimeTravellersWife Sat 06-Aug-11 22:44:14

DD is 8, has only just learnt to peddle. She can't balance enough for a bike, so she has a peddle go-kart. She has DCD and ASD and low muscle tone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now