Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

my 2 year old twins are not able to stand even with support

(10 Posts)
Twinmumof2 Thu 04-Aug-11 20:49:29

I wanted to know if there was anyone else who has experience of children who are unable to stand even with support. They are bright friendly charming boys, they have no formal diagnosis. They don't have any reflexes in their knees (the one where the doctor hits them with a hammer). I don't know anyone else in a similar situation and the medical professionals don't seem to have seen anything like it so I am searching.

nenevomito Thu 04-Aug-11 21:09:31

Hi, I don't have any info, but didn't want to leave your message unanswered. What have the docs checked for so far?

Marne Thu 04-Aug-11 21:18:46

My dd'1 has no reflexes in her knees, she has hypermobile joints an no muscle tone but walked at 18 months indoors but would not walk on hard surfaces outdoors until she was 3.5. But i'm sure there are a number of things it could be, hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Twinmumof2 Thu 04-Aug-11 21:27:49

They have had blood tests and an electrical test of muscles and nerves - all have come back normal. They were born at 37 weeks, they are going to have genetic tests and possibly an MRI. I just can't beleive that my boys are the only ones in the world to be like this.
thanks

Twinmumof2 Thu 04-Aug-11 21:30:10

at what age could she stand?

1980Sport Thu 04-Aug-11 21:39:51

Hi - my DS is 2.8 and he can only now stand leaning against something or with pelvic support! He's been having physio and using a standing frame from 11 months - we've recently progressed to a walking frame called the buddy roamer but he hasn't got the idea of making it move yet. Until he was nearly 2 he would not put his feet to the ground at all, curled his legs up underneath him. He will now place his feet on the ground but only with shoes on. To stand he used to lock his knees but he has progressed now to standing with a slight bend in his knees which the physio says is a good sign. With a lot of support he will also take a little step. He can stand leaning against something now for a good 30 minutes but we couldn't leave him as he has no saving reflexes so he would just fall over when he's had enough. His current dx is severe GDD with a genetic caused still undiagnosed.

Marne Thu 04-Aug-11 21:47:12

Dd1 cruised for ages, probably from the age of 13 months, she took ages to sit (was almost 12 months). My friends daughter has only just started walking at almost 2 years, she has a form of arthritis and has only just been diagnosed.

zen1 Thu 04-Aug-11 22:31:46

Hi, my DS was originally referred to the paediatricians because he couldn't weight-bear at 21 months. His legs would just buckle if you tried to hold him in a standing position and he was generally quite floppy (didn't sit till 11 months). He is currently under the physios and has hydotherapy as well. The physio has noted that he has joint laxity and low muscle tone (he can bend in two!). However, he started to be able to take his own weight at about 2, and started to pull up on furniture just after that. Between 2.2 months and 2.4 months he started cruising round furniture and at 2.5 started to take a few steps unaided. He's now 2.8 and walks quite well and has recently started to be able to stand up from a sitting position without pulling up on furniture, though still can't climb stairs, run or jump. This time last year I never thought he'd even stand. The paediatrician wanted to refer him to a neurologist, but I didn't want him having loads of tests, so I really don't know the reason why he's so late walking. He has some other delays as well, but is making progress.

lisad123 Fri 05-Aug-11 08:49:10

I would def ask for Physio referal, they are so good. DD1 didnt walk till passed her 2nd birth day and DD2 was 22 months. Both have muscle difficulties, DD1 has very tight tendons and dd2 has very loose ones.

bookcase Fri 05-Aug-11 12:40:36

My DD is almost 2 and she can't stand with support either. She does have reflexes in her knees though. She has just learned to sit up on her own.

I would also say if ur boys don't have a physio then u should ask for a referral. As for diagnosis we went through lots of tests with no diagnosis yet - MRI showed nothing significant, genetic tests so far all 'normal', lots of blood and urine test showing nothing. We've been trying to find out why she has these problems since birth and so far no answers. So it can b a long and frustrating road. We have good support in the way of physio, OT, home visiting teacher, SALT, Genetics and Pediatrician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now