Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone speak snake

(46 Posts)
coff33pot Wed 03-Aug-11 22:49:20

Reason why I am asking is DS was allowed to watch the Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets two days ago. He has been going mad to watch the new one but for one thing it is a 12 and he is 6yrs and for another I think Harry dies and he has quite a thing about dying at the moment.

But he has a tendancy to act out films. I was gobsmacked as he actually sat on his own and watched THE WHOLE film without moving one inch shock

Trouble is...........now he only speaks snake confused

DD found it irritating to be woken up by DS chuntering snake but later admitted she much prefered it as she could ignore him better and it beats his obssession of guns and ben10.

I got asked for breakfast in apparently "snake" and if we were going out in "snake" and today I finally managed to convince him to go and have his haircut (he hides behind his hair) it was lovely and quiet in the shop so not too sensory but the poor young chap that was doing his hair .................well the only english he got was "who are you?" followed by 20 mins of...........yessss SNAKE grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 03-Aug-11 23:06:28

Parseltongue (snake language) must be the new 'in thing.' grin I like the idea of the poor barber being hissed and hathed at. The last few films are 12A, including the latest, which means children can see them accompanied by an adult. There is a lot of death in it, but not gratuitous. You can tell him it's a 12 if you want to avoid it. It won't mean a lot unless he's seen the rest. My DS3 saw them quite young but got rather scared in the last 2. May be cheaper to get the set on DVD, quite cheap ATM, excluding the last one.

BrigadeOfLannisters Wed 03-Aug-11 23:09:34

Parseltongue is cool though, I don't blame him.

I'd let him watch the first three films because they get very dark after that and the innocence and, well, magic, are missing from them. I think that when the books were written the audience of children reading them were growing up with them IYSWIM?

Your DS sounds fabulous btw!

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 00:31:07

I have a whole household of wizards and one little hissing boy! 6 as well, though it my nt twin. We are really lucky to have been given the Lego Hogwarts for Christmas....very expensive so don't even go there, but absolutely fabulous with little people wands and lots of dragons teeth and little owls/rats etc. It is all over the house.

ssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyheeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllloooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssssssssss to your boy grin

Oh and replace all knives with wands asap!

coff33pot Thu 04-Aug-11 00:45:21

grin Parseltongue THATS what it is! DS couldnt remember what the name was and set it was something to do with parsnips! grin

If this is his new obssession then I can handle this. That is the first time ever he has watched it and has been going on and on about the clips of the new one. Never has he sat still to watch a whole movie! On Amazon now its a fiver and Philosophers Stone is too and Prisoner of Azcaban is a little bit dearer but hey ho. My boy wants I get. I can handle the hissing more than being greeted with a semi automatic machine light up gun that usually wakes me up or an arrow sucker on my forehead grin

And yes he is fabulous to me although I am going to need a translation book and just wonder what the school will make of this new one. Lets hope they are happy to be wiped out by a wizards wand instead of him saying "you cant talk to me now as you have no head blush

coff33pot Thu 04-Aug-11 00:48:00

@ zzzzz

Your household sounds great fun! grin

<off to remove knives from the holder and replace with chopsticks>

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 01:00:59

Should I break it to you that there is a game as well?

Let him see the first film for ages before you get him the next ones. Lets face it you deserve the break.

Yay Cff33pot!

We spend a lot of time finding particular twigs for wands....holly is particularly magical for some reason hmm.....all barking mad but huge improvement on summer before last when they all pretended to be a pack of dogs and ran around woofing. There are down sides to having huge numbers of children! I threatened to buy them all leads but they liked the idea and asked if I would take them for walks.

coff33pot Thu 04-Aug-11 01:18:22

hahahahaha! @ zzzzz your childrens outlook on things are soooo much like DS! You suggest something that you would think would put them off but you get a "COOL!"

I got a big bay tree that I could trim off for wands. Its in desparate need of a haircut.

As far as a game goes I will have to look it up as DS doesnt play games very well ie the losing and the patience. Trust me though by the second time of watching he will have me watching him enact the whole film! His films are is games iyswim. Still desperately trying to add variety of play with DD because of his unmoving "thats not in the game" (film, cartoon)

Told DD it looks like another "snake" day tomorrow owing to DS calling a snakey nite nite to DD. She gave me a........pained expression grin I quietly suggested she read her big sisters book she had when it first came out to brush up on things grin

catherinea1971 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:01:15

Wow, your ds speaks parsletooth, how cool, it's very rare don't you know!!!smile
My ds is Harry Potter obsessed he's 4...he loves it as he loves to play the lego Harry Potter game on the wii which I can highly recommend cos it's brill!! He acts it all out too, gets a bit of a problem as he truly believes he will be able to fly a broom:0
He has tried to fly my mums and was unimpressed that it didn't work! Confused:

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 09:09:28

Bay trees sound ideal. If you have a very small shoe box you can insist that the wand fits in just like at the shop [olianders sp?] and then limit the length wink. I maintain green wood is always stronger in the hopes of something not too spiky.

Also helps to talk about "your wand" as boring health and safety sensible Mums draw there small child away from your dangerous stick wielding fiend wink. They are so easily pleased that they are mid "bless" before they have been turned into toads or generally leviosered [sp?].

Sounds the ideal antidote to the knife wielding.....I do have to read it aloud at bedtime, but lets face it that makes me feel like I am one of those TV perfect Mums.grin I shall laugh if your ds now becomes smiled apon by the world because his obsession's acceptable. Actually that did happen to us when ds1 was 3 and suddenly started playing the piano....he turned from "obsessive and odd" to "you must be so proud, he should have lessons" etc etc.

BrigadeOfLannisters Thu 04-Aug-11 10:17:00

You know when people have seen "Rain Man" and assume that all DC with autism have an extraordinary talent? Well there's a splendid response!

I tend to use the one Pagwatch came up with:

"Oh yes, DS2 can fly!" grin

BrigadeOfLannisters Thu 04-Aug-11 10:21:19

Speaking Parceltongue that is, not playing the piano.

Does he play by ear zzzzz? I'm on the spectrum and was able to do that from a very early age and was considered unusual. I did have lessons and could read music before I was able to read words. I often wonder about that.

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 10:28:05

BrigadeOL He doesn't play any more sad. But yes, he used to play by ear before he could talk. He is not so much asd as language disordered/impaired and from a crazy family. Once he started talking the impromptu musical genius moments wore off. I caught him singing beautifully yesterday which is new grin, so perhaps it will come back. I am organising music lessons for next term.

BrigadeOfLannisters Thu 04-Aug-11 10:34:06

LOL at crazy family. Shame about the playing but good r.e the language. DS can't multi-task at all, it's one of his features, intense concentration and focus on one thing. So when his language is taking off nothing else improves.

Hope it does come back for him and that he enjoys the music lessons smile

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 04-Aug-11 10:34:45

Coff33pot, Sainsbury's had the first 7 films on DVD in a box set for £20, we bought the blueray one (posh, our first blueray) for £32. May be cheaper than buying them individually.

My DS2 was obsessed by HP and the Philosophers Stone. He used to watch the bit when Quirrel runs into the hall shouting "Troll, troll in the dungeons. Just thought you ought to know," over and over again.

Ineedalife Thu 04-Aug-11 11:54:10

LOL ellen, thats the bit Dd3 likes too, she repeats it over and over and then faints on the floor.

She hasn't done it for a while, but she hasn't been watching philosophers lately, she is too busy with Real A and E and Border forcehmm.

BrigadeOfLannisters Thu 04-Aug-11 12:04:20

I am going to type that phrase on the boards the next time a disablist AIBU appears.

Wish DS would get into something interesting. DH hopes he may one day like Star Wars but as I pointed out, the obsessions have a way of sucking all of the joy of the things hmm

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 04-Aug-11 12:08:22

Oh, I like it Brigade. But shouldn't you report to MN!

<wags finger in little creepy brackets>

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 12:34:23

I find the brackets creepy too! But I am trying to use them to desensitise myself!

<can't think of interesting description of potatoe shaped womans inactive typeing>

BrigadeOfLannisters Thu 04-Aug-11 12:37:54

grin at bracket phobia. Make sure you do it gradually. I once had a friend who was afeard of buttons and his Mum and Dad thought it was hilarious to throw him a surprise party for his 18th with a "Pearly King and Queen" theme shock

zzzzz Thu 04-Aug-11 12:44:13

shock shock shock shock shock

But sounds strangely like my own parents!

AllieZ Thu 04-Aug-11 13:04:57

>I think Harry dies
If the film follows the book then Harry does not die.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 04-Aug-11 13:09:28

Spoilers!

magso Thu 04-Aug-11 13:16:29

Ds (11) has been driving us mad with parseltonge since seeing the new HP too. This has recently changed to darlek , in that alarming staccato increasing pitch voice which I find even harder!! Just warning you to stay away from Dr Who>

AllieZ Thu 04-Aug-11 13:17:31

Sorry - I assumed everyone read the book when it was published 4 years ago in July 2007 (this is the book the newest film is based on).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now