Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do ADHD support groups exist?

(8 Posts)
sunnymum44 Wed 03-Aug-11 21:38:51

Hi, I'm really struggling to find a local support group where I can go and vent some of our family issues with other parents who really understand what challenges we face day to day.

The only group I can find on the ADDISS website is one where apparently the children have now grown up so don't meet anymore...

I just can't believe that these support groups don't exist. Obviously I realise that I have plenty of support from my fellow Mumsnetters smile and though I don't post much, I certainly lap up all of the threads to do with ADHD and advice & thoughts from you all. But I just wish I could actually sit in a room of parents, even if it's only once a month and just talk to people who really understand what we go through.

Does anyone else feel the same and can't understand why there's no support groups out there? Or any advice for where I can go to find a group? We have first CAMHS appointment in september but I'm really struggling with the school holidays and could do with a good chat to others who understand before then. We live in East Surrey by the way and I'd even be happy to travel if necessary.

Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated, thanks smile

janetsplanet Wed 03-Aug-11 21:52:49

there is one in my town. its been set up by a mum of an ADHD child. i think they meet once a month

janetsplanet Wed 03-Aug-11 21:53:35

no where near east surrey tho sorry.
can you search on facebook for one

sunnymum44 Wed 03-Aug-11 22:01:35

Hadn't thought of Facebook, thanks

lisad123 Wed 03-Aug-11 22:08:48

one here in herts called Angels, its does ADHD and ASD, but think its mainly ADHD parents

dolfrog Wed 03-Aug-11 23:08:52

sunnymum44

Setting up support groups take time and commitment at the outset, and then money to pay for meeting facilities etc.
Usually you need one very enthusiastic individual who do will all of the organising and administration, and have contacts with the local voluntary service organisation which can help find the admin etc support they might need.
It all take time and effort.
Contact via the internet is much easier, but less personal and there are some useful groups on Yahoo, Google, Facebook, and other networking sites.

I hope you find some support

sunnymum44 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:09:24

Thanks dolfrog. I really hadn't thought about all that. Was just thinking of a room full of parents airing their experiences/ frustrations. I didn't consider the actual difficulties in setting up a group, just assumed it would "be there already"!

We're not ready to tell anyone yet about ADHD for various reasons so because I don't talk to anyone, I desperately feel the need to talk. So really I should set up a group myself then but guess that would be pretty tricky to do anonymously!! Between a rock & a hard place....

Will keep searching on the suggested places, thanks.

utah Thu 04-Aug-11 08:34:03

speak to local sure start centres, our local one started a asd one, they provided room and also advertised it we just had to clean up after and have a named person for contact. It started with 3 and ended up with approx 20 and a larger room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now