Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

2yr/6mnth ds global development delays?????

(8 Posts)
missyb1988 Wed 03-Aug-11 16:41:19

hello
Im new to mumsnet and hoping for some advice from you great people so here is my massive essay.

My son is 2 and a half, lately i have noticed he is quite behind with development and is showing irregular behaviour habits (similar to autism, which my brother is a severe autistic). I am taking him to the doctors friday to try get a referral to the hospital.

As of yet he is still unable to talk, he has no language skills what so ever although, he started saying basic words at the aprox time he had his mmr and a severe ear infection (13-14mnth). This then stopped and now he just babbles, like he is first learning to talk but never actually says anything. We have done the basic learning techniques but there doesnt seem to be any progression. So is hoping to be referred to a speech therapist for more help. He still hasnt learnt to pick up interaction properly, he doesnt often play with other children and when he does it isnt in the correct manner, more hugging and scragging at faces and hair. He is more exicted by the company of an adult rather then a child. He has thousands of toys he does play with them but most of the time not how there ment to be played with he is shown and does copy but the day after its like hes forgot . He has also got slow hand and finger skills although he can build blocks and etc, he cannot feed himself with knife and fork or control to drink out of a cup.

His irregular behaviour habits consists of fixation of playing with bellybuttons and putting his finger in holes. He constantly bites his hand mainly when he is excited and stressed. He sometimes walks on his tip toes, he used to walk like that full stop but seems to be growing out of it. He makes noises like he is trying to talk but never does. He is fixated with music and certain songs, he could have it on all day if he was aloud. He lacks alot of eye contact, he will look at you but only for a brief moment but most of the time there is no contact. He has also started playing on a trampoline recently and is now obsessed with boucing, on the trampoline, on beds and even walking around the house or when hes stood still.

I feel like a terrible mother for leaving it so long but was hoping he was lazy and praying he would pick it up. Doing the basic techniques and been repetitive isnt working and would love some tips and advice in the mean time as referrals and hospitals take the p**s cheers for reading hope ya didnt fall asleep too many times

BlueArmyGirl Wed 03-Aug-11 19:54:25

Hi Missy

don't beat yourself up for 'leaving it so long'. Whilst you may have always had niggles about things sometimes dc change and do come on, other times as we know they should be doing more we suddenly realise that things aren't quite as they should be.

Getting an appointment with HV or GP and requesting a referral to local child development centre to see paediatrician is the next step. S&LT is usually an open referral so, although HV or GP can do that for you, you can do it yourself just get the number out of the phone book.

missyb1988 Wed 03-Aug-11 21:47:16

hi BlueArmyGirl

Like i said he is going to the GP on friday so hopefully will get the referral for speech therapy and maybe a hearing test.

Just wanted some advice of different things to try as im doing e.g; repetitive play, one word talk etc. Also would like some opinions of what they think to my ds.

BlueArmyGirl Fri 05-Aug-11 21:14:44

Hi.
Always good to check hearing even if your gut feeling is that it's ok.

How did you get on with GP? Did you manage to get the referrals you wanted? You mentioned autism in OP, is that what you're thinking it could be?

As far as ideas go you're on the right track with keeping language simple, using just key words, using dc's name to try and get his attention when you're speaking. You could also consider using some signs or picture to support communication and understanding. Single words to give instructions and single words to name and describe what ds is doing. When he's playing or vocalising happily just imitate the sounds he makes, as though you are copying them back to him in a conversational way and see how he responds

Is he aware of you playing near or with his things? Does he respond to you 'interfering' in his play? If he's aware that you're there try playing alongside himand imitating his actions and noises and see how he responds to you, you can then try to change an action or a sound and see if he imitates you (this may take a while to build up, depending on him).

To support developing eye-contct have a go at lots of simple anticipation games especially those where the outcome/reward is something he likes e.g. if he likes tickles then playing 'round and round the garden' and building up to that moment when the tickle comes, pausing, holding your hand up to your face and waiting to see if you get some eye-contact as a 'request' to tickle. If you can go on the trampoline together you could trying bouncy and holding his hand and then stopping, waiting for him to look before you start again - he might find this hard i he's used to doing it on his own but if you can make it more 'exciting' with you (e.g. being able to bounce higher than on his own) he might be quite accepting.

Does this help?

missyb1988 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:05:36

hey again

doctors went really well yes we got the referral so im really pleased he was so understanding and nice his grandson has autism too so i think helped because the times we went before the other GPs didnt really seem to understand so im just waiting an appointment now. We was in the docs about 20 mins and he saw what i was talking about with the traits he was doing so i was sort of relieved that i wasnt just over thinking things assuming because of my brother the GP did seem to think he had mild autism but as he pointed he cant give that diagnostic as i knew that anyway .

Thank you for the tips alot of them im am doing already but the few over eye contact are brilliant things i didnt think of so thank you so much will start that tomoz smile

BlueArmyGirl Sun 07-Aug-11 11:05:16

Glad to hear it went well and that you got a good GP who listened and could see what you were talking about - not dismissive.

Hope you have some success with developing the eye-contact.

missyb1988 Tue 16-Aug-11 16:03:20

hi,

just a little post to say hes coming on leaps n bounds already im gob smacked nothing with the talking but the eye contact is going really well hes giving contact to me and dp very well and hes starting to look at family members n friends now im feeling very optimistic now grin

il keep you post on a referral date smile

BlueArmyGirl Wed 17-Aug-11 08:39:35

That's fantastic! Well done to you and missy jnr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now