Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Wheelchair decals/wheel sticker type things

(8 Posts)
jajoom Tue 02-Aug-11 20:14:15

Hi,

my 8yr old is getting ready to move from his SN buggy into a standard type child's wheelchair. We meet with the OT at the end of the month to try a few out, but I'm already wondering how we can spruce it up to stop it looking too 'clinical'. Have see a lot of kids wheelchairs have those picture prints covering the centre of the wheel (usually smiley faces or the Tweenies) and they look really nice. Anyone know what they're called, or where you buy them from? Tried a Google search but found nothing. Any help appreciated.

Thanks x

princesspuds Tue 02-Aug-11 22:14:14

Hi, my dd is 7 and has been in a chair since the age of 2, the item you are looking for are called spoke guards and cost about £20-£30 for plain ones for you to add your own decoration, I have seen some on e bay but they are over £100 for a pair which are decorated.

My dd's chair already had some on, they are planets and are really cool, I have also bought velcro fastening cycle lights to go on there and reflective straps to go on the front and I managed to get a couple of reflective key rings to clip onto the spokes as well.

Good luck smile

starfishmummy Tue 02-Aug-11 22:18:54

Sorry no info on decals but have you checked that you will get spokeguards on the wheels - our wheelchair service no longer supply them routinely so ds's has have been moved from chair to chair! Saying you think your Ds might stick his fingers in the spokes might help!

feelingbetter Tue 02-Aug-11 22:20:49

Try www.coolhubcaps.com/ and spokeguardart.com/ (who are american, but I know they are well thought of and do custom designs.
And recare.co.uk/html/spokeguards.html

feelingbetter Tue 02-Aug-11 22:21:42

You can get them on eBay too, but they are fairly basic.

starfishmummy Tue 02-Aug-11 22:22:04

The nhs spokeguards are just plain black not fancy ones.

If you really want to jazz up his chair go here..
www.spokeguardart.com/

It's am American site but they deliver REALLY quicklysmile I had my son's done there..his were unique. He was obsessed with 'Lazy Town' a few years ago and I contacted the producers on channel 5 and they did the design for me for free and I emailed it to spokeguardart.com and they made them! (You can see them on the scrolling photos) I had them made there on another Mum's recommendation.

We used to have children follow him down the street to admire themsmile

jajoom Fri 05-Aug-11 22:05:23

Thanks for all your advice! Will wait to see if the chair comes with gaurds already on, if not will definitely be checking out the spokegaurdart site. Good idea about the cycle lights too. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now