Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is it usual for them to go from sensory-avoiding to sensory-seeking? What does it mean, if anything?

(18 Posts)
LeninGrad Mon 01-Aug-11 22:22:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TooJung Mon 01-Aug-11 22:25:22

It's a nice reminder that sometimes children develop at their own pace and so we as parents are not totally responsible for ensuring every step of progress/change smile Maybe the OT will know what it means and be full of explanations? Good luck.

LeninGrad Mon 01-Aug-11 22:33:27

purplepeopleater Mon 01-Aug-11 23:10:50

My DS is a bit of a jekal & hide in sensory situations (he is 6)

Busy class, too many ppl, to many requests and too many noises on the go at one time or being forced to do PE then he runs and hides under table or in cupboard and wont budge.

Single ppl at home he is fine, more than 3? Taken out in the crowds, taken to tescos? He holds it together with a stim as in touching or skipping or talking to himself of a game. Once home all self control goes and he can go potty and leap, jump off things and stomp over everything.

There is no pattern as such so we have quiet time ie he likes a special bed made on settee with a heavy throw. Usually when he has got in from school

If he is hyper then I got trampoline, pogo stick and balance ball to help him realease it.

LeninGrad Mon 01-Aug-11 23:29:23

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 02-Aug-11 00:18:23

Is it a switch between hyper and hypo sensitivity? My DS is hypo-sensitive to lots of sensory stimuli but hypersensitive to others. He's always been really active, which I think is hyposensitivity to movement. Interesting, can't really help.

madwomanintheattic Tue 02-Aug-11 00:37:50

dd2 used to scream when being changed (touch sensitive) or at bright lights and noises (streets and supermarkets a nightmare), but has always enjoyed the sensation of movement (swings/ slides). it's a pita tbh, as she can't always manage to get up the blooming steps, but is desperate for the speed of the slide grin she has cp though, and i'm pretty certain has reduced sensation in some areas, so it stands to reason she's probably overly sensitive in others! she also has some retained reflexes (her moro kicks in with noise) but she can overcome a lot of her responses with advance warning... (we trained her out of a gag reflex, for example... <sigh>)

she's a couple of years older though, nearly 8. at 5 it seemed a lot worse, but i don't know whether she's become less sensitive to certain stimuli or we've become more adept at preparing her! the enjoyment of swinging/ bouncing and speed hasn't diminished.

Claw3 Tue 02-Aug-11 07:33:46

Ds is both sensory avoiding and sensory seeking when it comes to movement. For example he loves banging and crashing into things, hates any kind of movement where both feet leave the ground ie bikes, swings.

Perhaps your ds was previously having his sensory needs met through something else, which has now stopped, hence he is seeking to met these?

Claw3 Tue 02-Aug-11 07:36:49

When did his sensory seeking behaviour start?

First thing that sprung to mind, was being off school for the 6 weeks holidays.

IndigoBell Tue 02-Aug-11 09:08:35

I think hyper and hypo sensitivity comes from the same problem - and neither is better nor worse than the other......

TheTimeTravellersWife Tue 02-Aug-11 13:22:29

DD is mostly sensory avoiding; everything is too loud, too bright, just too much! But she does like to chew objects, which is a sensory thing. She has to have heavy blankets and to be wrapped up very tightly in bed.
So I think that it is possible for a child to have a mixture of both.

sc13 Wed 03-Aug-11 15:17:49

I think my DS (5.4, dx of ASD) is a bit like that. We used to think that he was generally hypo (and so sensation-seeking), but ever since he has learnt at school to put his hands on his ears if something (not necessarily a noise) overwhelms him, he started to do it for a few things, e.g. some specific noises (but not others). So now we think either he's been a bit hypersensitive all along, and has found a way of telling us, or he has switched. Not sure that it makes much sense, sorry, but still trying to figure it all out myself

LeninGrad Wed 03-Aug-11 17:07:11

Claw3 Thu 04-Aug-11 11:02:41

Lenin, i think kids get a lot more sensory input in school, sometimes it can be overwhelming, sometimes it meets a need, normally a mixture of both i should imagine.

Just the running around in the playground, bumping into things, other kids, brushing past each other, PE, getting changed for PE etc, etc is all sensory input.

There is also all the noise, lights, smells etc, etc to contend with, which some kids can find overwhelming and then after a day of this at school, they dont want anymore input at home.

Then all this stops. Good luck with your OT assessment, im sure she will be able to shed some light smile

LeninGrad Thu 04-Aug-11 11:08:29

Claw3 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:45:13

Brilliant plan Lenin, sounds like you have it sorted.

If you want a bit of variety, you could try rolling him up in the quilt with his head sticking out the end and karate chopping him up and down, ds loves it! I also stretch him, he holds onto the end of the settee and pull his ankles, he wants me to pull so hard, i worry about pulling his joints out!

Trampolines are absolutely brilliant too, if you have the room.

LeninGrad Thu 04-Aug-11 17:08:34

Claw3 Thu 04-Aug-11 19:24:29

You have it well and truly sorted and im sure he will be doing somersaults in no time and you will doing lots of 'oh my god' and probably need a large brandy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now