Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The ipad....a good tool for unenthusiastic readers/writers????

(25 Posts)
Becaroooo Sun 31-Jul-11 19:15:10

Hi all,

My dh is dropping hints abut getting me an ipad as a joint gift for both my b day and xmas smile

I'd love one, but was wondering, could my ds1 utilise it too?

I dont know anyone who has one so I cant ask and I dont know if there are any aps (sp?) that are suitable for kids or even if there are any that are aimed at kids with sn/sen??

TIA!

Choccyhol10 Sun 31-Jul-11 19:28:02

My nephew has dyspraxia (10 y.o. and can't read yet) verbal as well as other and it was suggested that he get one. There are pro grammes available I know but don't know the details. He got some recommendations from the speech and language therapist. I am sure this was related to speech issues as well as his inability to write.

It will depend on whether your child has speech and language difficulties, dyslexia type problems plus how motivated they are for this sort of thing and what sorts of things they are interested in.

Have you tried PC world? I know you can go in there and try out Wii and playstation? It may be that you can also try an ipad.

SoupDragon Sun 31-Jul-11 19:41:21

My children have no SNs but They all know how to use it, DD is 5 and uses it effortlessly. It is very intuitive.

There are many apps for kids, although I can't say if there are any specifically for SNs. I'm not sure if they help with writing as you use a finger rather than a pen type grip. although you can get a special pen stylus for it, there are often issues with resting your hand/wrist on the screen.

wraith Sun 31-Jul-11 19:57:28

not so much for writing although it does support a handwriting recognition thing apps is where any use comes in

a good place to test a ipad is the apple store

tablet pcs are better for vorecious readers as they can store a libray on it easily

You'll never get a look in grin

My dd is 4, as ASD and is partially sighted. We have lots of games on MY iPad for her. Some are more educational than others. We have one called pocket phonics which gets her to trace letter shapes with her finger (she is a very good reader but struggles to write because of problems with her fingers and wrists) it has helped her. She's also learning Spanish and loves playing a toy story game where she has to spot very small objects! (no mean feat with her sight!)

She can work it completely unaided and I'm a bit worried she's managed to buy something from the apps store! (must have logged in then let her play!) luckily the apps are not ££ (but it can soon add up if you go mad!)

We also love the toy story talking books which have little clips from the film in. I can imagine they would encourage reading smile

There are lots of other books on there too but Disney ones are nicest I've found.

bdaonion Tue 02-Aug-11 10:30:01

We have the Pocket Phonics app too. as Lola said, good for practising forming the letters, and also good for early readers as they have games that involve listening to a sound and identifying the letter...which in turn builds into a three/four letter word.

Becaroooo Wed 03-Aug-11 15:35:42

Thanks! Will check them out when I get it <<excited>>

dolfrog Wed 03-Aug-11 16:25:46

bdaonion

Like all phonics based programs great so long as you do not have a listening disability such as Auditory Processing Disorder, an may be those who have attention issues.
we need programs to support both the Lexical and Sublexical processes required to perform the task of reading. Some children especially those who have SEN issues may not be able to access either the Lexical or Sublexical processes, and this needs to be understood for each child before identifying the best form of support.

haggisaggis Wed 03-Aug-11 16:31:46

I had another thread on here looking for app recommendations as we are getting one for dd's 9th birthday. She is dyslexic, has problems with numeracy and also a few issues with coordination so she finds using a mouse quite tricky. There seem to be loads of apps out there that she will enjoy - both educational ones and non-educational ones.

TheTimeTravellersWife Wed 03-Aug-11 16:41:03

Thinking of getting a (used/refurbished) ipad for DD, as she cannot use a PC independently, she has problems with mouse control. I seem to remember someone recommending apps for SN on the ipad, but I can't find the thread.
I know nothing about them though - are they just a Mac version of a laptop with a touch screen?

silverfrog Wed 03-Aug-11 16:53:52

if you search my posts for ipad app mentions, you'll probably turn up a few threads grin

essentially, an ipad is a touchscreen computer, yes. except you cannot use any Flash based programmes on the ipad (desn't suport flash).

they are fantastic, and have helped dd1 a lot.

the tracing apps have really helped her come on with her writing - a lot of early years approaches use tracing motions to help young children with the shapes of letters, and this is no different.

dd1 has apps for letters, phonics, maths, games, reading (storybook style, as opposed to letters/sounds). she leafs through holiday snaps (and I use them to customise into storyboards for her to read too), watches films - honestly the possibilities are endless.

if an ipad is not possible due to finances, an ipod touch might work - same functionality, smaller screen, which might be ok depending on fine motor control. dd1 started out with mine, progressed to an ipad, and now uses the ipod on eg days out where I don't want to lug her ipod around. dd2 (only 4) only really gets to use the ipod (as the ipad was fundraised for by dd1, and is hers from school)

Becaroooo Wed 03-Aug-11 17:52:40

Thanks silverfrog

Am hoping (bearing in mind the price!) that we can all use it!

Would you all recommend going to an apple store or would somewhere John Lewis be ok?

TheTimeTravellersWife Thu 04-Aug-11 15:26:41

Looking at buying a used first generation ipad, as they are cheaper. Can you still get the same number of apps for them? (Maybe I should post on Techy stuff!)

silverfrog Thu 04-Aug-11 15:34:57

dd1's ipad is 1st generation. it makes no difference ot apps, at the moment - the main differences are 2nd gen has a camera, faster processor, and is thinner/lighter.

when you buy apps in the itunes appstore, it tells you what the app is compatible with (ie iphone, ipod, ipad, and what generation/OS you need)

hth

TheTimeTravellersWife Thu 04-Aug-11 16:41:50

Thanks silverfrog, that's all I need to know! Now need to find a good used one; can't stretch to a new one.

IndigoBell Thu 04-Aug-11 17:11:15

Becarooo - the phonics stuff will be far too babyish for your DS. It's all aimed at 4 / 5 year olds.

I haven't found anything on the iPad suitable for DD.

I think I'd recommend a tablet PC not an iPad.......

An iPad can't do flash - so can't do all websites ( club penguin headsprout for example). And it doesn't have a proper keyboard. And you can only use iPad apps on it - nothing else (well, and the internet)

If you recieve help from the family fund they now provide ipads btw

silverfrog Thu 04-Aug-11 18:05:19

how/re you doing on that whole ipod/itunes thing, Apocalypse? grin

Becaroooo Thu 04-Aug-11 18:47:10

indigo Tablet pc??? Erm, whats that then??? grin ds2 is nearly 3 and I would like something suitable for all of us, really - is there such a product????

apocolypse We dont qualify for anything - ds1's problems arent classed as severe enough hmm (Really glad its something thats available to others though!)

Seriously, people, I am clueless!!! Dh and I are pondering getting an ipod - our current stereo being (roughly) the size of the Taj Mahal BUT we have no idea
a) what they do (aside from playing music)
b) how you get the music onto them and
c) how we could access the tunes in the car for example
blush

I have a kindle (which is easy to use) and can navigate the laptop but thats about it.

sigh. I am a luddite arent I? sad

Oh yes, I need to get back to that now i've found the lead blush

I intend to bump the thread [b;ush]

The plan with Ethans ipadd is to send it into school with aa shedload of itunes cards and let them deal with it grin wink

IndigoBell Thu 04-Aug-11 20:15:18

Becaroo - check this tablet pc out. It's much better than an iPad....

I love it. I want one grin

Becaroooo Thu 04-Aug-11 20:51:16

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh nice smile

wraith Fri 05-Aug-11 01:57:15

ok indigo thats schmexy i want one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now