Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Interesting article on dyslexia on BBC science and nature page...will try to link....

(7 Posts)
Becaroooo Sun 31-Jul-11 16:42:11

July 2011 Last updated at 17:42

Has it worked??

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 17:43:40

No! Does this?

dolfrog Sun 31-Jul-11 18:35:19

Hi Becaroooo

I think you mean
Dyslexia makes voices hard to discern, study finds
which is really about the BBC and UK research playing catch up, still a long way to go.
have a look at
Dyslexia and related issues research paper collections
and CiteULike Developmental Dyslexia - library 425 articles
CiteULike Alexia (acquired dyslexia) - library 163 articles
and CiteULike Audiology and Auditory Processing Disorder - library 357 articles

They still have a long way to go before they begin to get it right.

Becaroooo Sun 31-Jul-11 18:42:12

God, my links NEVER work!

Thanks dolfrog I read the BBC article and found it really interesting as it describes ds1 very acurately!

dolfrog Sun 31-Jul-11 18:54:52

Becaroooo

They are talking about Auditory Processing Disorder, which is a cognitive cause of dyslexia.
Dyslexia is a man made problem, and as such can not cause anything.
As it said eventually they will get the science right, given time.
The position they are describing was were leading researchers were 10 years ago.
Fortunately research has moved on considerably, but unfortunately the BBC and others have not.

Becaroooo Sun 31-Jul-11 18:58:22

Yes. I think ds1 has APD and he has done a course of AIT.

I havent seen any difference yet but I was told it could take 3 months to see any difference...that being said, last term his reading and writing did get slightly better!!

Am a bit blush that I excitedly linked to research that is 10 years old grin

dolfrog Sun 31-Jul-11 19:08:20

Becaroooo

Dorothy Bishop and other UK researchers have the uneviable job of bringing the UK into to line with leading dyslexia research, so to some extent your link is part of the updating process.
So your Link is OK the problem is the UK dyslexia industry, which has its own funding or marketing agenda, and as a result do not want the more recent research in the public domain, as it would upset their income streams based on the success of a specific remedial program.
So bring on an s may research links as you can as part of the long updating process. It is the dyslexia industries fault not yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now