Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can i stop DS1 2.9yrs biting DS2 9 months

(6 Posts)
hanbee Sat 30-Jul-11 21:22:46

Hi

Any ideas on how to stop DS1 2.9yrs with a development delay trying to and sometimes succeeding in biting poor DS2. He's been a loving brother up till now but as DS2 is more and more mobile he has decided that anytime DS2 comes near to him that he must bite him.
I think it's a mixture of not wanting DS2 to interfere in his game, take attention and simple jealousy. DS1 has little language but his understanding is good but still delayed. As soon as DS2 cried DS1 also cries and seems to know he's been naughty, I've told him off, removed him from toys and finally after 2 really bad incidents on Friday did a one minute time out- he then tried to bite me!

Any ideas on how I cam stop him? Shall I just keep enforcing the it's naughty, hurts people message and wait for him to grow out of it?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 10:37:27

I think you're on the right track with the time out, so long as it is immediate so he associates it with the biting. Bump for you anyway!

yogabonkers Sun 31-Jul-11 10:51:12

when my youngest was born, her asd brother was almost 2. he constantly tried to get at her and scratch her as soon as she started moving. the only thing we could do was not to leave them alone together, ever. even then, she always had a scratch on her face!

but he did grow out of it thankfully.

hanbee Mon 01-Aug-11 19:42:01

Thanks folks. I will persist with what I've been doing and wait out what will hopefully be a phase!

BialystockandBloom Mon 01-Aug-11 21:39:57

Agree with persisting with immediate time-out. Also the huge praising for when he's tolerating ds2. I'm sure it will get better at some point but definitely needs action while you're waiting. Good luck!

Claw3 Tue 02-Aug-11 07:41:09

Have you tried giving him something appropriate that he can bite? ie 'we dont bite brother, we bite this'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now