Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aaargh people are so freaking ignorant...

(9 Posts)
unpa1dcar3r Sat 30-Jul-11 18:38:02

Took the boys to a place today and upon entry the guys says to me 'are you on your own with them?' 'Yes' I replied... 'oh right, well keep an eye on them as they might upset some of the other children here'

So in other words don't let your 'disabled' kids upset the 'normal' kids.

Boy did he get a bollocking and a half, I was so furious, gave him a mouthful about his ignorance and told him to go home, look up the disability discrimination act and perhaps educate himself a small way into understanding disability and then perhaps he'd realise that not only was he completely discriminatory, he was tactless and his comments were completely unfounded and that it would be more likely to 'normal' kids would upset my disabled boys...said a few other things besides but didn't swear or raise my voice more than an octave.
The poor girl working with him couldn't apologise enough but it wasn't her fault.

When I left he reiterated that he hadn't meant any offence and I replied too late mate I am highly offended and your comments were badly thought out so go home and go on the internet and maybe you'll learn something useful so you don't offend anyone else.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

zzzzz Sat 30-Jul-11 19:00:07

unpa1d, well done! grin I wish I ever managed to say any of the things I think of way after the event.

coff33pot Sat 30-Jul-11 19:05:46

What a rotten ignorant thing to say! angry

Good for you giving him what for and I hope his ears are still burning!

alowVera Sat 30-Jul-11 19:06:16

Well done you! I don't think I could have managed to stay calm.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 30-Jul-11 19:09:02

What a horrible day. Well done for putting them right without losing your temper.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 30-Jul-11 19:09:39

Well done!

unpa1dcar3r Sat 30-Jul-11 19:54:51

Thanks guys.
They make me soooo mad though, it's like you just can't escape it and be a family having a lovely day out with your kids without some A hole spoiling things in some way.
We had had a lovely day before this point to be fair, just me n m' boys, and they were absolute stars all day and then we finished by popping into this local place (I live in a holiday area) and he says this and it's like BANG day ruined.
I felt like screaming/crying but thankfully for once had my wits about me and maybe he will think a little next time.
We can but hope anyway!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 30-Jul-11 19:56:42

I think I would have been shaking, myself. A bit of confrontation does wonders for the adrenaline rush!

unpa1dcar3r Sun 31-Jul-11 07:50:57

Lol Ellenjane I know what you mean! I get the shakes normally and my mouth goes all dry too but for some reason it didn't this time.
But I reckon I must get a certain look on my face before I've even spoken as people tend to take one step back with a look of fear on their faces before I've opened my mouth to give them what for!!!
My husband and elder kids think it's hilarious and reckon I'm a scary Mary when riled up.
Oh well if I can educate at least one other person before I die then all is not lost!!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now