Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone ever doubt a ASD diagnosis....then bang...

(9 Posts)
Anna85 Sat 30-Jul-11 11:37:42

something happens which confirms why you had ur concerns in the 1st place??

My DS is 5 and HFA and at times seems to cope really well with things and then something happens and it makes u realise that the diagnsois was right?

He is coping well with school holidays....occasionally needing reassuring whats happening etc but overall okay.

Just wondered if anyone else ever things or doubt the diagnosis?/

ArthurPewty Sat 30-Jul-11 12:01:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coff33pot Sat 30-Jul-11 12:12:17

All the time. Because I keep hoping I am wrong. sad

coff33pot Sat 30-Jul-11 12:17:24

And this morning I have just opened a letter confirming that they feel a Statutory Assessment is necessary. Which I am happy about and sad about iyswim.

ArthurPewty Sat 30-Jul-11 12:25:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anna85 Sat 30-Jul-11 12:43:23

coff33pot - It is gd they have identified that he needs to have a SA. I have had to push the school (even though they agree he needs one) and the request was accepted first time which I was very shocked about!! LeonieDelt I hope u win your appeal. x

colditz Sat 30-Jul-11 12:47:44

yes, all the time.

Like, when he's playing some sort of imaginative game with his younger brother.

And them I paint some 'NoBite' on his nails to stop him chewing his fingers, and he screams and retchesand hits me for 2 hours afterwards.

coff33pot Sat 30-Jul-11 12:53:48

Yes and I am grateful that it has gone so smoothly so far compared to some I have read here who I really feel for.

But in the same context it just hammers things home all the more everytime you get a letter or appointment. Its a sort of mixed feeling isnt it? You have ranted and written and gone to appointments for your children knowing they need help but at the same time the motherly instinct rears up and you dont want it to be true.

DS has had a great couple days even with his sibling which is rare. Then this morning he had an accident with the curtain pole. Opened it and the whole pole fell on his head! shock He ran upstairs and locked himself in the bathroom and kept yelling I am bad. (he is convinced he was born bad thanks to the school endlessly punishing him in the beginning and talking about his behaviour infront of him to others) Took me an hour to get him out and make him see that it was an accident and I was more concerned about his head than a silly curtain pole. Then half hour to put the bathroom back together because he had emptied all the toilet rolls and had been angrily throwing them around. 2 hours on he has come up to me and said "Am I in trouble?" To which I said no. Then his sister came in from play and he said he was naughty because he broke the curtain confused

Another half hour and a coffee and I will kick myself into gear again grin

TanyaBranning Sat 30-Jul-11 14:35:33

Yes. Definitely! Even when I was pushing for a diagnosis of Asperger's like a dog with a bone, deep in my heart I didn't believe he had it. I was just desperate to get him a statement and the support he so badly needed at schoo.But as he gets older, I see very clearly that - whatever the hell AS is/means - he is very definitely affected by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now