Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

possible ASD

(9 Posts)
romomum Fri 29-Jul-11 20:44:18

Hey everyone, not posted on here before!!
My son is 5 years old, i always had a feeling that something was different about him, naughty and didn't respond well to being told off or any other kind of punishment.
Though i would see how things pan out when he started full time school (which was last September) i was often getting called in to take him home as he was hitting other children and throwing temper tantrums and other things. Thats when i thought time to get him looked at. I had an appointment with a Pediatrician, and she said it was possible Autistic spectrum disorder, but will not diagnose for another year and monitor how he goes.
Had good support from the school and he has been getting on better as we are working as if he has asd and he is responding better.
Feel a bit stuck at the moment with the summer holidays as he is getting over emotional and quite angry ,I'm thinking it is the change from going to school most days to the holidays. making sure we get out and about during the day even if it is just the park to keep him occupied.
Would like to hear from other folk who have been in a similar situation, i don't know anyone who has, so would be good!
romomum

janetsplanet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:56:03

Hi, we are going through the assessment for ASD too. DD2 is 7 and can be naughty at school and home. like you i felt a bit awful when someone mentioned ASD even tho I have always known she 'wasnt normal'

we're also going through the assessment for DS (6 yrs old). We find that treating him as if he does have ASD re sensory issues and behaviour management with visual timetables does help. It is a long long road though and we are fighting to get the school to understand our viewpoint as he is not naughty at school particularly. At school he has no friends (has just finished Y1) and lacks concentration and social skills.

janetsplanet Fri 29-Jul-11 21:06:50

although i said my DD is naughty in my post, i want to make clear she isnt naughty. yes shes a little monkey at times, what 7yr old isnt? shes just different. always has been

coff33pot Fri 29-Jul-11 21:17:49

Hi romomum yep same here still in the midst of assessment for my 6yr old for AS/ASD. Both myself and the school are treating him as if it is AS and things have calmed down slightly at school. And ooooh yes he can be a monkey too!

janetsplanet Fri 29-Jul-11 21:21:15

when DD2 slept out the other night, i actually missed the noise, the constant shouting, the odd little swearword off her. what the hell was wrong with me. why didnt i enjoy the peace, have a drink etc. i hoped, when she phoned me at 10pm she would want to come home, nope, she was fine, just missed me a bit. i couldnt be without her and her oddness

romomum Fri 29-Jul-11 21:51:43

Thanks for the replies! great to hear from other folk in the same boat! i'm lucky with the school he is at they have brilliant even though he is a little monkey too!!
aww thats sweet janetsplanet!! i don't get much time away from my son, the few times he has stayed away he is fine!! and yes it's me missing him like crazy! x

janetsplanet Fri 29-Jul-11 22:11:58

romomomum - one thing that keeps me smiling at the end of the day (then horrible trying days we have) - tell someone, be it facebook, an email, a phonecall, something about your son that has made you smile or laugh that day. it may be something really simple and nothing to others, but to you, its made your day

romomum Fri 29-Jul-11 22:15:01

Thats a good idea! after reading that thinking back to our day today and the funny things he does! and other days for that matter!! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now