Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please talk to me about sensory processing disorder (again, probably)

(15 Posts)
LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 13:43:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IndigoBell Fri 29-Jul-11 14:11:18

Yes - retained reflex therapy grin

You can also do sensory integration training.

People on here have had huge success with both of them. I (as always) would personally recommend starting with retained reflex therapy. It cures most of the SPD symptoms.

Especially problems with the vestibular system and Proprioception (because there are actually 7 senses not 5)

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 14:29:29

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 14:30:02

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 14:36:23

IndigoBell Fri 29-Jul-11 14:43:40

Finally got rid of DSs Moro Reflex last week - after working on it for a year.

Getting rid of it has made a huge difference to his anxiety levels.

I don't think an OT will be able to help with the hypersensitive hearing - I think you'll need AIT for that.

dolfrog Fri 29-Jul-11 14:45:18

LeninGrad

There are a number of issues here which you have already highlighted, IndigoBell has covered the development delay issues which can cause these types of problems which are retained reflexes or automatic human reflexes which do not function, and the various retained reflex therapies can usually work around a developmental delay.
After the age of maturation, 7 - 8 years old, if these problems still exist then they are some form of information processing disability, or a sensory processing disorder which has many names over recent years.
Sensitivity to sound (auditory noise) is Hyperacusis
Sensitivity to light is Scotopic Sensitivity Sysndrome

I do not, yet, have research paper collections for taste, touch or scent.

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 14:48:03

IndigoBell Fri 29-Jul-11 15:30:19

RRT has very much helped with balance and motion.

What I have done with DS and DD is Auditory Integration Training (which takes 10 days) at the Sound Learning Centre. That cured both their hearing problems.

Then waited 3 months. (Because they recommended to)

Then started RRT with them (which they call neuro development program).

RRT is still ongoing, it takes 10 minutes a day, and we've been doing it with DS for a year, and are probably 3 months off finishing, and we have just started it with DD.

The SLC gives your reflexes a score between 0 and 100, where 0 is no problem, > 25 is mild problems, > 50 is significant problems and < 50 is major problems.

DS started with a score of 69 - and is now down to 17. DD started with a score of 65

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 15:33:52

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 15:36:50

IndigoBell Fri 29-Jul-11 16:16:02

The initial assessment is £400.

They take an audiogram then and see if your DS has the problems which AIT fixes ( ie hypersensitive hearing or a very spiky jagged audiogram). They also test for retained reflexes.

AIT costs (I think) about £800.

RRT costs £600 for the first 3 months, then £100 every six weeks.

So - in some ways not cheap. In other ways, for £3,000 I've vastly, vastly improved DSs life (almost to the point of cure - certainly to the point where his ASD is not a disability) - so I think it's an absolute bargain.

Spending £3,000 to cure DDs dyslexia is also worth it to me.

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 16:42:54

IndigoBell Fri 29-Jul-11 16:43:32

Yes

LeninGrad Fri 29-Jul-11 16:49:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now