Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Stop discrimination in schools

(4 Posts)
HollyLouise22 Fri 29-Jul-11 12:13:46

I'm 17 and have been visually impaired since birth. I've been to a number of schools and have noticed that there are extreme differences in the ways they have treated my disability. I know a lot of you will either have disabilities yourself, or have a child with a disability and know what I mean. I'm aiming to raise awareness of disabilities at my school in an effort to reduce discrimination.

Currently on channel 4 there is a program called battlefront where young people get support with a campaign they want to raise awareness of. I am campaigning to increase the education young people have about disabilities in order to hopefully reduce some of the problems people have socially at school. Obviously I don't expect what I'm doing will ever solve every problem, but even if we can make a small step that is something. In order to be featured on the program and get a lot of public support with my campaign I need the highest number of votes to become the 6th campaigner. You only have to fill in your email address and name, and every vote helps.

I feel so strongly about this and appreciate your support so much.

Click here to vote for my campaign
https://www.battlefront.co.uk/competitions/entry/729/vote

Every vote is really important smile

BakeliteBelle Fri 29-Jul-11 19:36:30

well, I've voted for you. Good luck. There seems to be no strategy, national or local, for making school a good place for disabled children. I think it would be a great thing to have this issue featured on Channel 4. Perhaps Frankie Boyle will watch it...

bedheadz Fri 29-Jul-11 20:23:07

Have voted and put your link in my status hopefully get you some more votes

SparkleRainbow Sun 31-Jul-11 08:08:53

In my ds' experience it is not just the children who need better education about disabilities, the children were fine, it was the teachers!!!! and I say that as a teacher myself, I was horrified by some of their attitudes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now