Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone got a blue badge recently for a child who only gets LRmobDLA? WWYD?

(19 Posts)
magso Thu 28-Jul-11 21:15:05

Ds is 11 and has mod/sevLD with ASD. I did not appeal for HRmob because ds is borderline on the IQ front and is getting more able to comply with requests within reason. However I do have trouble with hospital visits or anything else that ds does not like/ want to cooperate with which cannot be avoided . This has become more problematic in the last 2-3 years in part because my physical health and strength is so poor whilst ds has got bigger. Today i was not able to park at the hospital for ds appointment with the sn dentist. Ds did not want to go and by the time we got to the hospital I was all in (literally was given oxgen)). I am not ill enough I think to get a blue badge ( I have PVFS/ME with some breathing difficulties) it is more the combination of our respective difficulties. Usually there are lots of unused blue badge spaces - I do not need one by the door just near enough not to collapse!
I have heard that children with HRmob as a result of severe mental impairment have had it taken away recently with the recent changes. The wording for the blue badge scheme is similar ie unable or virtually unable to walk - well both ds and I can walk ( Ok I'm a bit wobbly) its just he gets fearful! Do you think it is worth asking for a blue badge - and if so for which of us??

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 28-Jul-11 22:52:57

There was a similar thread the other day which might be useful. Here

hannahsmummsy Thu 28-Jul-11 23:37:22

my friend has a heart condition dosent get dla but has a blue badge , her doctor filled in the form so its possible to get one on no dla at all xxxx

hannahsmummsy Thu 28-Jul-11 23:39:13

ps her dd has adhd and her son has AS so the doc took that into accout when filling in forms xx

RoobyMurray Thu 28-Jul-11 23:43:48

speak to citizens advice. they know how to fill in the forms.

angelPeacock Fri 29-Jul-11 22:32:09

i know in our area you can apply for a blue badge without having DLA, you just have to show them you need one. same kind of reasons for mobility element of DLA, not just about physical problems, things like "no concept of danger on roads"
i would contact your local office or if unsure talk to CAB like RoobyMurray said xx

Calally Sun 31-Jul-11 12:25:32

ds is 6, he has sld and poss autism. dla have just awarded lrm. ds's sw sent of an app for a blue badge just over a week ago, havent heard yet. but she explained in the support letter she wrote, that ds has no comprehension of danger, doesnt understand risk, and is a runner etc. so im keeping my fingers crossed

Mitmoo Sun 31-Jul-11 14:14:48

My son had one as he had a habit of trying to run under cars when stressed, it was because he was a danger to himself and to other people.

magso Sun 31-Jul-11 14:22:37

Thank you everyone. good luck Calally never thought of asking for help from the sw. I suppose I do not want SW to know just how much of a physcal struggle it can be with ds - it is really not good parenting to nearly collaps in charge of your child! I had asked for the forms and will see if the gp can write something suitable. I am wondering about applying for blue badge for each of us and leave it up to them!

Calally Sun 31-Jul-11 18:04:14

thanks, ill let you know if/when i hear anything. sw done everything. gp never sees ds. i was wary of sw at the start, but she has been brilliant. good luck

Choccyhol10 Sun 31-Jul-11 18:15:19

I have one and I know of people with children who are in mainstream with a diagnosis of Asbergers who have them also. We have low rate mobility and because of this we had to attend an appointment so that they could see my son. His difficulties are obvious so it wasn't a problem (would bounce in front of a car in a hyper moment). If your child's difficulties aren't obvious you can spell out the things that they have trouble with such as tiredness walking, refusal to walk, co-ordination difficulties, meltdowns, tantrums, distraction, hyperactivity and failure to take note of their environment at crucial times. My son, has wound down the car window and jumped out despite child locks (because he MUST get out of the car a certain way). Fortunately, we were in a car park or he would've been on the road.

magso Mon 01-Aug-11 09:30:16

Thank you Choccy. Ds can be icely chilled - he is likely to completely ignore an assessor which will seem more rude than disabled, but it his way of coping. I suspect the money advice unit who help with DLA forms may be able to help so I will try and contact them.

Calally Mon 01-Aug-11 20:11:09

i sent them a chq and it was cashed this morning, im hoping this is a good sign smile

magso Wed 03-Aug-11 19:38:33

Oh that sounds hopeful Calally. Ds insisted on getting a shopping trolley to put our small bag in today so 'you dont go like that' ( making a loud wheesing noise)! Bless him!

magso Thu 04-Aug-11 13:02:21

Saw GP who advised applying for me not ds as she thought the local assessors would not give a blue badge for an able bodied disabled child but might to a non able bodied carer. ( Ds was playing beautifully with the preschool toys at the time.) We will see!

magso Mon 08-Aug-11 12:00:46

Have filled in the form for the blue badge. I just want to cry now!! I detailed some of the instances where not being ble to keep pace with my son could have put him in danger and feel such an awful mother!
So in the hands of the assessors now.

Calally Mon 15-Aug-11 18:10:30

ok, just been told app was rejected as ds doesnt meet criteria. iactually feel like crying. then taking him over to them and asking them to take him out and see.

Lougle Tue 16-Aug-11 18:10:55

Calally, you have been refused because the criteria is physical disability, and your DS has, on the face of it, 'intellectual disability'.

The good news is that ASD is now officially recognised as a physical brain disorder.

My DD has a brain condition, and she was refused her blue badge, due to the same reason. I appealed on the grounds that as her brain is malformed (nothing is missing, it just looks a bit funny on MRI), she has a physical condition which results in her intellectual difficulties. I then argued that she should be awarded a badge alongside people who, for example, have a back condition which causes them to have difficulties walking, despite their legs being functional.

Explaining it that way seemed to make enough sense to them that she was awarded her Blue Badge.

Calally Tue 16-Aug-11 20:14:10

see the other problem i have, is ds doesnt have a specific diagnosis. although he will hopefully get a dx in sept when we see paed again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now