Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD and calories

(4 Posts)
OTtrace Thu 28-Jul-11 13:56:05

My 9 year old son has ADHD and as a result of medication increase is not hungry, I am trying to feed him up on higher calorie foods and little and often, but he needs to put on at least 2 kg in the next couple of months, does anybody have any advice please?

coff33pot Thu 28-Jul-11 14:37:11

When my dd lost weight due to illness I bought her milkshakes called "Build Up"

They were large sachets so I split them into two drinks and made them with whole milk. It at least gave her a liquid boost along with her food intake. smile

keepingupwiththejoneses Thu 28-Jul-11 16:55:46

Complan of build up are great and quite cheap from the chemist. I have given ds2 this in the past as his pead wanted to take him off of his meds and he can't handle being off them, ds said they where just like having a milkshake no funny taste.

sneezecakesmum Thu 28-Jul-11 21:00:22

The dietician could help with pro cal powder (tasteless and added to food) pro cal shots (high calorie type milk shake). I don't suppose you would get referred to in that time though. We are going through a similar exercise and add cream, butter, marscopone, cheese and dense fatty calories added to his usual food. Try high calorie milkshakes and smoothies - banana, avocado. Put cream in his favourite foods, add marscopone to pasta sauces.

here Lots of good ideas from other MNers for us! We went for a weigh in on tues but no nurse to weigh him - looks a bit chubbier in the cheeks [wishful thinking] !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now