Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS Autism Special school closing

(18 Posts)
looneytoons Fri 22-Jul-11 21:53:28

I went to pick my DS up last day of term today and was told his school was closing and he would need a new school for September. They have suggested an alternate school but we wont be able to view the school with kids in until September. I am very angry they have left it till last minute to tell us. Ds has Autism and is finding it difficult to understand he wont go back there. Is it usual for it to be left so late to tell parents when a school is going to close ? Any suggestions on what to do if we dont like the school they want him to go to ? How can we make sure he gets the right level of support ?

pestroid Fri 22-Jul-11 22:17:31

Thats awful especially as your local Education Welfare Contacts only work term time. You must get in contact with them first thing monday morning, as they are likely to still be in the office for a couple of days next week. I would recommend ringing and asking for an emergency face to face appt for monday. (If you work you can ask for compasionate leave to go to the meeting.) They have an obligation to help your son to get in to a school of equal or better support. Bottom line, if you don't like the school you can refuse to send him there but that would be the start of a painfully long procedure.

Eveiebaby Fri 22-Jul-11 22:29:59

It is shocking that you have been told this on the last day of term. I cannot believe the school would not have know they were closing before today? I'm not sure what you can do to be honest - maybe contact your local Parent Parnership to see what they advise?

looneytoons Sat 23-Jul-11 10:15:05

Thanks for your help I will arrange meeting with lea and ring parent parnership. Ds tells me that the teachers have know about it all week but were told not to tell anyone. If we had know earlier he could have had a look around the school they want him to go to and he wouldnt be spending summer worrying that he wont have a school in September.

amistillsexy Sat 23-Jul-11 10:19:59

shock Is this a LA school, looney? I can't believe they've done this. How many children attend the school?

looneytoons Sat 23-Jul-11 11:22:25

It is an indepenent school because lea have not got a suitable school for him.
It is only a small school with about 8 children that they couldnt place anywhere else because of how complex their needs are. This is why I am concerned they now think they will all just be able to fit in this other school.

drivemecrazy63 Sat 23-Jul-11 16:44:33

im informed by my LEA they are being forced to close as many of our SS as possible and fit in or not place 99% of dcs in ms... horrified is the word and despicable they wait till last min like this so as not to have lots angry parents baning the door down how cowardly, im with the others contact pp for advice or if you have to an education solicitor.

working9while5 Sat 23-Jul-11 18:27:07

The special units I work in are going to close too. I am so sorry that they have sprung this on you. It is not right at all.

ouryve Sat 23-Jul-11 19:09:01

And there was me thinking Dave the Rave was all for there being more special schools. I'm quite appalled for anyone finding themselves in the position of having a later than last minute scrum for suitable schools for their kids. sad

I have known an independent school close with no notice, before. One near to where I used to live, called children to take their kids and all their belongings home, one day. They were on the point of bankruptcy and a developer had expressed an interest in their building and grounds.

looneytoons Sat 23-Jul-11 21:07:43

There not at the point of bankruptcy because the other school they Want dS to go to is with in the same company. They also have another one that I know about. So I dont really think it is purely a money issue.

amistillsexy Sat 23-Jul-11 21:24:33

sad so sorry for you Looney. Unbelievable that the LA couldn't have stepped in sooner and made it easier for the families involved.

looneytoons Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:02

Thanks for advise spoke to LEA and parent partnership today. Got to visit two schools to talk with staff about Ds needs. No children in because of the holidays. One was no good as it was an EBD school and they didnt appear to know much about autism. The dp seemed put out when I asked what they would do about his communication skills. The other school looked really good and she told me all the things they would do for his communication and social skills. They had therapy room and quite places for the children who are struggling. The dp here seem to be very intrested to find out about the child she might be getting. We will visit the second school with ds and then hopefully we will be able to get a place.

pestroid Mon 25-Jul-11 22:44:56

Looney I have been thinking about you all day, it sounds like you have done brilliantly today. Onwards and upwards and you'll get what you want and what your lad deserves. God I sound a twat, it just sometimes life feels like a war trying to get what your child needs and deserves.

(btw whats a DP?)

looneytoons Tue 16-Aug-11 13:23:27

Just an update to say we have been offered a place at the school we liked. Ds has been around and liked it too. He is able to start in September.So panic over we can just enjoy the rest of the holidays. Thanks for all your support and help.

pestroid - Sorry that should have been DH - deputy head.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 16-Aug-11 15:47:15

That's great, what a relief! I saw your thread but couldn't really add to it. Enjoy the rest of the holiday. smile

coff33pot Tue 16-Aug-11 20:31:42

Same here! VERY glad for you! smile

looneytoons Wed 07-Sep-11 23:09:33

Ds been in two days at new school all well so far. He seems to have taken the change well.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 08-Sep-11 07:13:52

pleased to hear it's going well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now