Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Portage anyone?

(3 Posts)
alowVera Fri 22-Jul-11 17:08:10

hi, have received the good news that portage will be involved with DC,
after 4 referrals and previously being told no.
Question is, what should I expect?

zen1 Fri 22-Jul-11 17:32:34

DS is due to begin portage in September (after a year's wait!) and from what I understand the portage worker visits your home once a week and focuses on particular activities (through play) to help your DC's development. They leave you with ideas to build on for the next week. I think in many cases the relationship you build up with the portage worker becomes very beneficial and they can end up being a great source of support.

signandsmile Fri 22-Jul-11 18:21:36

portage has been amazing. weekly visits with a detailed developmental assessment at the start to see exactly where your dc is, they then look at what are you would like to work on, and you together pick 3 long term goals. she then breaks this down in smaller actions to achieve the goal. She demonstrates/practices the actitvity with you and dc and then when she is back in a week checks how things have gone, do you need the next step, or does the action need to be adapted, or broken down further.

She supported us at TAC and with choice of schools. She was fantastic.

Ds now off to school in Sept, but we will miss her very much.

One of the best interventions we have had. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now