Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Prescribed nappies?? He leaks every night in supermarket pull ups

(11 Posts)
mum0ftw0 Fri 22-Jul-11 16:41:17

Anyone know anything about whther they can be prescribed??

DS aged 4 wears aged 4-7 pullups, as they're the only thing big enough, and they are leaking through to his sheets and matress every single night if he isn't changed at 12 midnight and then 5am.
This is ridiculous to have to get up to do this.

If he had a decent nappy I could get some sleep and avoid all this washing.

Any suggestions?

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 22-Jul-11 16:51:48

you can get nappies through your local pct continence service, what age you get them from can vary but it's 4 here. Try your health visitor first, they should be able to sort something or give you more info.

Lougle Fri 22-Jul-11 16:55:14

In this area, to qualify, the child has to be in nappies day and night.

mum0ftw0 Fri 22-Jul-11 17:15:06

cool thanks, he's 4 and in nappies day and night

Triggles Fri 22-Jul-11 17:58:30

DS2 has just turned 5, and is only in nappies at night, but we're constantly changing clothing and sheets here too. Drives me mental sometimes. And it gets expensive!! Not sure who to go through in this area, but hopefully it wouldn't be the HV, as she's a loony!

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-11 18:24:51

If he is wet rather than soiled [grinning at my own coyness grin ] then I would try MotherEase cloth nappies with one or 2 inner pads. I know it sounds mad to suggest something washable but they do at least work [or did for mine]. They might send you a sample or you could just buy one for a try if it sounds reasonable. I did buy mine about 8 years ago, so don't even know if they are still around.

If he is soiled as well then you need liners and it might be less faff to carry on with disposables.

homeboys Fri 22-Jul-11 21:28:51

depends what kind you are using - if mainstream pullups then they will leak around this age for children who arent about to become dry soon.

better are the ones which have age ranges up to 14 yrs i think one is 4-7yrs, the next 8 - 14, maybe huggies brand. These are much much better.

Also on ebay you can buy large washable "continence" bed pads. they are fab. Quite big, padded cloth that absorbs loads of fluid. get 2 or 3, they dry easily during the day without radiators. You could stitch elastic straps to them to hold them firmly in place over the mattress but I didnt need to do this.

wantmyflattummyback Sun 24-Jul-11 19:56:44

Definitely talk to either health visitor, GP or paediatrician about getting free nappies from the local authority. In our area, if your child is 4 or older and is still using nappies due to their special needs then you get free nappies. We now get a regular type for our 5 year old, plus an extra absorbent type for night times - and most nights he does not leak. It is terrible that special needs services are not generally known about and that people have to learn of these helpful things via other parents! Good luck - you should not have to fund SEN equipment yourself - and nappies are in this category when your child is older than "normal" nappy age.

Triggles Sun 24-Jul-11 20:12:11

I'll mention it to the paed. I avoid the HV like the plague!

drivemecrazy63 Mon 25-Jul-11 15:34:09

i was going to apply but was told as only at night (ds is 11) i couldnt have them?

keepingupwiththejoneses Mon 25-Jul-11 21:01:22

Where I live it is 5.5 for nappies so I bought these, they are really good, made by tena.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now