Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

auditory trainers

(17 Posts)
zzzzz Thu 21-Jul-11 22:57:01

Have any of you tried auditory trainers [headphones for child and a microphone for the teacher]. I came across them while looking at something else and think they might be a real help for ds who has moderate/severe language problems but mysteriously at school did really well least term when they put headphones on him for a class exercise. I'm wondering if they might help him in class?

dolfrog Thu 21-Jul-11 23:11:24

zzzzz

they are usually refered to as FM systems and were orignaly developed for those with a hearing impairment.
The best company developing these is Phonac
FM systems have also been used for those who have APD, they do not help the processing problems but the provide a consistant good quality of sound for thr speaker regardless of their position to the reciever.
And yes i had a demonstration at a university presentation for Speech and Language Students regarding how they may help some one who had APD. I was the guinea pig lol.

dolfrog Thu 21-Jul-11 23:15:35

Check out ASHA research

dolfrog Thu 21-Jul-11 23:29:34

I was replying to another enquiry about APD, when I came across a review of FM Systems which was included in the APDUK newsletter No.2 which can be downloaded.

zzzzz Thu 21-Jul-11 23:32:55

Thank dolfrog, the more I think about it the more helpful I think it might be [if it makes things easier obviously!], not just from the point of view of hearing but on other levels too.

For instance if he was to wear headphones while his teacher did the initial chat in a class it would,

1) cut out surround sound when he needs to be listening
2) provide a clear signal to him that he needs to listen to the teacher now
3) remind the teacher [because she has to use the microphone] that he has language problems so she may be more focused
4) perhaps make his invisible disability a bit more defined for other kids in his class [though actually they are great on the whole]
5) in a strange way I think if he used a "hearing aide" a lot of the parents would give him a bit more of a break....does that sound awful.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere you can try this kind of thing out?

oddgirl Fri 22-Jul-11 08:22:11

The soundfield system was also recommended to me by a paed consultant audiologist when I had DS (6 with ASD/dyspraxia) reviewed. She also recommended the following:
*DC should sit at the front facing the teacher (may lip read to aid comprehension even though no inherent hearing problem)
*Use Listening buddy to aid comprehension
*Frequent listening breaks to reduce overload
*Rephrase rather than repeat instructions as often simpler language is used
*Frequent use of childs name/visual cue to keep on task
*Aid auditory comprehenaion by listening to audio CD stories at homen and ask questions re content-slowly introduce white noise to "compete" with the CD and check listening and comprehension skills, then introduce low adult voices (Radio 4) then finally childrens voices
*Provide key material in advance so new vocab is familiar to the child

DS classroom next year actually has the soundfield system within the walls although you can get individual ones from the company Dolfrog has noted-bloody expensive though. Howver audilogist says it significantly reduces distortion bouncing off hard classroom walls and means the sound is at its purest when reaches the students lips.

HTH

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-11 16:06:03

oddgirl thank you, I really think my ds would find this helpful [though I have been off down the wrong track before]. Our school doesn't have anything in built so I will have to buy it if we are going to use it. Are you in the uk? It seems a much more common approach in the US, or perhaps they are just more open about it. He likes headphones and is good with them so I'm hoping it is a good sign. Maybe our local deaf school might be able to help with where to borrow one for a day?

hatchypom Fri 22-Jul-11 17:29:05

Fm would need a hearing aid but soundfield essentially reduces noise in the classroom for all pupils. A portable system from phonak is around 800 look on connevans for a price. The marrs research report on soundfield proved a long time ago that every child regardless of their hearing etc would benefit from an acoustically improved environment

dolfrog Fri 22-Jul-11 17:45:30

zzzzz

Phonac have and interest in marketing their products, but their web page does have some useful pdf downloads Phonac Web site

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-11 18:07:41

I think something that he has to put on [headphones ideal, but i guess hearing aid would be the same really, it just seems a bit ott], would help for the reasons I put above. It's not just about making hearing things easier for him. It's the whole package that is attractive.

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:26:43

Has your dc done an AIT programme zzzzz ?

Ds1 completed a programme over last half term....it aims to help those with APD/ASD/dylexia/dyspraxia etc etc by stimulating the nural pathways and encouraging new nural pathways to develop.

Might be worth a try???

zzzzz Sat 23-Jul-11 14:43:39

Off to google AIT, as haven't a clue what that is! Interested in the inside story Becaroo [or anyone else] if youare willing to share. Or any thoughts really. DS [6 language disordered/delayed/plain odd, but bright as a button] is coming on in leaps and bounds so it is an exciting summer for us.

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 14:49:12

Please feel free to PM me zzzz

AIT = auditory integration training. I went to Tracey Alderman in shropshire (you can google her!)

ds1 is also doing RRT atm at INPP.

dolfrog Sat 23-Jul-11 16:43:58

zzzzz

have a look at Auditory integration training and other sound therapies for autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review AIT has been around for decades, and keeps on reappearing, but relatively recently in the UK, a new provider is in town, or has moved base to the UK.

drivemecrazy63 Sat 23-Jul-11 16:51:41

I did AIT with rosalie seymour as shes in uk now...

www.aitinstitute.org/rosalie_seymour.htm

still awaiting the benefits if any will have to wait for more feedback when he returns in september to yr7

IndigoBell Sat 23-Jul-11 19:03:03

I've finally put up the Audiogram's of my DDs treatment so that you can see how much AIT has helped her.

Pre treatment she made 20% errors on an Auditory Discrimination Test, afterwards 5%.

The treatment also eliminated all hypersensitive hearing.

As you can see pre treatment everything was very distorted, (remember it's a logarithymic scale as well), so for example something at 1500 hz would have been heard at 5 db in her right ear, but at -10 db in her left ear.

Post treatment hearing at all the frequencies ranged from 0 - 5db

(A flat line at 0 would be perfect hearing)

I got very similar results for my DS as well.

The results of AIT? She learnt to read, can now remember things, and her cognitive processing speed is now much faster as well.

drivemecrazy63 Mon 25-Jul-11 14:58:31

if it helps ds at all ill be happy but those results are very good ds is moderate ASD so i suppose it depends what they are like to begin withi look forward to talking to RS when he goes back in sept and his teacher in year 7 see what they report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now