Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

memory games/activities to help with word retrieval and recall

(10 Posts)
blueShark Thu 21-Jul-11 13:42:36

anyone that can share some fun activities/games to try over the summer holidays? thanks!

drivemecrazy63 Thu 21-Jul-11 14:06:02

um the one that sticks in my mind ds used to do school showed me is where you put a fair few objects on a tray cover with a tea towel ..
you get dc to look at the objects for say 30 seconds or maybe 40 they when they are not looking take one away cover with the tea towel then they look , you remove the tea towel and they have to see with sandtimer can they work out whats missing.

coff33pot Thu 21-Jul-11 16:51:30

We made two games ourselves (copying others from the net) we cut squares out and drew two balls, two bats, two cats etc. Made it with DS involved in the drawing and colouring as an activity. Then the next day we used them as a memory game in turning them over and mixing them up. Sort of a pick a pair game iyswim smile

Another one was alphabet bingo. Again we drew grids and put in letters. also wrote letters on squares of paper which DS loved cutting. Cut out blank circles to cover the letters when you found them on grid. Then used them as a game the next day.

drivemecrazy63 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:57:06

yes as ds is good (ish) with numbers we play snap and pairs with cards a lot, ds used to like 'guess who'.

BialystockandBloom Thu 21-Jul-11 21:09:42

There's the "I went to the shops and I bought..." one, where each person adds an item in turn, and you have to try and remember all of them.

Not sure of the age group you're talking about, but for young children Orchard toys have lots of memory games if you want visual stuff.

blueShark Thu 21-Jul-11 21:41:05

thanks for the ideas. DS just turned 5, I will have a look at Orchard and try some of the suggested games above too.

ButterflySally Fri 22-Jul-11 11:56:11

Hi.

You mentioned word retrieval. To aid with word retrieval, the following games and activities can be useful:
Guessing/describing games - helps children organise their vocabularies by linking words/features to each other which in turn aids word retrieval. Provide a series of clues and children have to guess what you are describing. They also have to hold this information in their auditory memory long enough to be able to assimiliate the clues to come up with the answer. Children can also take turns describing things by features: what it looks like (size, shape, colour), where you find it, what you do with it.
Dice & category game - roll a dice. If the child lands on a five, they have to think of five things that belong in a given category (e.g. things you wear, things you find in the kitchen, transport, basically any category you can think of). You can also encourage them to link sound properties too, e.g. think of two things that are fruits that begin with 'p'.
Sorting games - have a whole heap of household objects / pictures of common objects and encourage your child to put them into categories. Talk about which category things belong in and why (e.g. the spoon and fork go together because they are cutlery.) This helps organise a child's vocabulary (even if it is simple, well-known vocabulary) which aids word retrieval.
Odd one out - have three items (can be things around the house or picture of items). Talk about which one is the odd one out and why (e.g. apple, banana, cake. Cake is the odd one out because it is not a fruit. You can make the odd one out easier if needed, e.g. apple, banana, chair).
New vocabulary - if you introduce the meaning of new words to your child during the holidays, talk about what the words mean, draw/look at pictures of what the words mean, talk about the sounds in the words (first sound, how many syllables/beats, last sound), talk about synonyms, practice using in a sentence.

I'm not sure if you mean auditory or visual memory but here are some auditory memory games and activities:
I went shopping and bought - someone else already mentioned this but is great for auditory memory.
Listening game - have a range of objects in front of your child. Say three or four items all at once (be mindful of not breaking the instruction down as it takes away the memory component of the task) - your child has to listen to the items, remember them, and retrieve them.
Following instructions and relaying messages. You can give your child tasks to do around the house where they have to remember the auditory instruction (e.g. get the towel and the shampoo from the bathroom). You can also encourage your child to relay messages to another person. Chinese whispers can also be played - child has to try and remember the message they heard.

Hope you find these useful. You can adapt them to be approrpiate to your child's level if needed.

ButterflySally Fri 22-Jul-11 11:57:11

*appropriate

bdaonion Fri 22-Jul-11 12:24:52

I've been watching this thread with interest. There are some really useful suggestions which I plan to 'steal' for my own use. Thank you!

coff33pot Fri 22-Jul-11 22:04:10

My DS loves music and will dance his heart out. He used to go through the channels till he found one he liked. Now we play a memory test of reading the channel numbers. And see if we can memorise three channels. If he gets it wrong I have to do a silly dance. If punches in the right numbers he gets a sticker. 5 stickers mean he gets to pic a treat from the lucky jar. ( usually fill it with raisins or marshmellows) Its just daft play but inexpensive fun grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now