Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD's Salt provision (or better say the lack of) is driving me nuts :(

(12 Posts)
chocjunkie Thu 21-Jul-11 10:25:36

DD (3.5) has a severe speech & language delay (about 1.5-2 years behind)... we have been originally referred for a salt assessment last year in October (after battling for almost a year to get her referred). she had been seen in Feb for an assessment. then had a block of completely useless GROUP therapy in April (DD didn't cope in the group at all). once it finished, the salt elaborated for about a month and decided that DD is too complex and needed to be referred to another salt team (which deals with more severe cases). we are now on the waiting list for this team and I have just been told it is about 4 month long and we are unlikely to bee seen before october (i.e. a year after we have been referred).as said, DDs s&l issues are severe. how can they do this???

we can't afford to go private. I already have the hanen books and it gives me load of help but progress is just so painfully slow and we really need desperately professional support. I just find DD is getting more difficult and challenging day by day and I am really struggling to cope with her atm sad

any wise words?

LeninGrad Thu 21-Jul-11 20:22:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Agnesdipesto Thu 21-Jul-11 21:00:29

cerebra will give you £500 for private SALT if you have waited, or have to wait more than 6 months for direct SALT - i would think if you explain the situation you would qualify

Agnesdipesto Thu 21-Jul-11 21:01:24

Although just thinking about it they only fund it if due to neurological problem eg ASD. Other charities eg Caudwell would probably help though, or family fund

chocjunkie Thu 21-Jul-11 21:25:37

@leningrad - not yet but I think I need to really do it. but we haven't got a dx yet other than delayed speech & language. paed keeps an eye on her as she is have load of asd traits as well. so I always wonder whether all the hassle is really worth it without dx . but I guess I need to get my act together and just do it. if we would qualify, we could actually afford to go private... DD is just keeping me so busy 24/7 and I have a baby on top and no family near to give me a hand. I just don't find the time to focus on these forms... I am just tired atm... but I know that is a rubbish excuse blush. I should just do it for DD.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:27:25

If you go to CAB or similar they will help you fill out the forms.

chocjunkie Thu 21-Jul-11 21:27:26

thanks agnes, will have a google around!

blueShark Thu 21-Jul-11 21:38:58

choc - dont forget DLA is needs tested not dx...I waited until DS was 4 and got dx and could have claimed since he was 2 or 3. Just follow the Cerebra guide to fill in teh forms and there also so many knowledgable people here

chocjunkie Thu 21-Jul-11 21:52:41

i know shark... I have family coming over next week for a fortnight and should really try to make the most of it and leave the kids with their grandparents and get it done...

utah Thu 21-Jul-11 21:57:59

I recieved DLA with a dx of speach delay tbh it should be a dx in its own right, my ds now has a dx with autism, but the main area is communication. good luck.

feynman Thu 21-Jul-11 23:35:19

If you can find anyway to go private then take it, but in the mean time make a total nuisance of yourself. Ring them up, daily if necessarily, offer to take any cancellations, write to complain, etc, sadly it is often those who shout loudest who get anywhere. It shouldn't be like this but often can be.

chocjunkie Fri 22-Jul-11 10:10:28

just bought big box of cadbury chocolates and will start filling in the dla form now.

I also wrote a long letter last night to complain about DD's crap non-existant salt provision.

thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now