Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Processing Disorder - is this it?

(10 Posts)
janetsplanet Thu 21-Jul-11 09:19:58

DD2 has dyspraxia and is being assessed for ASD. She has seen an OT regarding her 'strange' behaviour and we have the report back. it says the following

Mums answers suggest that X is under responsive to tactile, oral motor and vestibular stimulation. Children who are under responsive to stimuli tend to need more input. Sometimes this means that they fail to register ordinary stimuli around them and look very passive (Dunn 1996). At other times children who are under responsive are constantly seeking more stimulation and look very 'busy'.

the report also mentions a sensory diet and DD will be seen in a motor skills group in the summer.

does the above mean my DD has SPD or not?

bedheadz Thu 21-Jul-11 10:02:03

I had a similar report from the OT, I phoned and asked is this SPD, she replied no, I had a really bad head cold so just said OK duurgh.

We are at the paed at the end of the month so I am going to ask them.

IndigoBell Thu 21-Jul-11 10:46:48

She almost certainly has SPD, it's just not something they are keen to put on paper.

But almost all kids with ASD and dyspraxia have SPD, not sure if it's really a sep thing, or just part of the other conditions.......

Having a dx won't bring you any more help / support than you're already getting. Things can be doen for SPD - but normally not on the NHS.

janetsplanet Thu 21-Jul-11 11:45:17

thanks for the replys. when we next see the OT I will be asking if it def is SPD. they mention things to do at school and home, spinny chairs etc. DD goes on a wander round the classroom etc, but school say its attention seeking. The report says that school don't really have a problem with DD, yet I get phonecalls about her behaviour maybe once a month or so to tell me its not acceptable. The report also claims that the bedtime crap we have is because DD feels the need for control and that its down to anxiety.

I do feel a bit better knowing that there is a reason for it all

IndigoBell Thu 21-Jul-11 11:51:18

There's always a reason.

It's finding the reason that's the hard part grin

LeninGrad Thu 21-Jul-11 12:05:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janetsplanet Thu 21-Jul-11 14:30:14

thanks LeninGrad, am on reading it now

blueShark Thu 21-Jul-11 14:52:44

best book I ever read is The Out of Sync Child and so many things of DS behavior and challenges made sense.

dolfrog Thu 21-Jul-11 21:32:22

janetsplanet

Regarding the reference to (Dunn 1996) I think I have found the research papers referred to and and a few more, basically a sort of works of Judy Dunn and a few more which are included in Early Development collection which seems to have spiraled out of control. You can choose the view or Sort by Pub Date (see top left) which will sort the papers by the year of publication.

janetsplanet Fri 22-Jul-11 10:40:09

thanks blue shark and dolfrog. i bought the book last night and will look at dolfrogs link now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now