Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

blue badge

(12 Posts)
Calally Wed 20-Jul-11 20:52:00

just wondering has anyone ever managed to get 1 without high rate mobility? sw wants to apply with a supporting letter from her and gp. ds gets lrm, and has severe learning disabilities ( awaiting dx autism )

AlysWho Wed 20-Jul-11 21:00:29

Yes we have one, and we get Hi rate care, lo rate mobility. Had it a while now tho, not sure if things have got tougher since! Had a supporting letter from (supportive) GP, that was all. Good luck.

vjg13 Wed 20-Jul-11 21:00:33

Yes, the GP just fills in that part of the form. My daughter gets LRM and has severe learning difficulties. I think the system may be different in different areas but the form we do is worded to make it sound more difficult to get than it actually is.

Calally Wed 20-Jul-11 21:05:31

im in northern ireland, so prob different again. most people i no who have them, all get hrm. although dla might be appealed, as sw thinks ds should get hrm. ill send the form off, worst they can do is say no. with regards to gp ( hes a bit clueless lol ) asked him to do a letter for us going to eurodisney, he asked what i wanted him to say in the letter. when the letter came, he'd written what id said word for word lol.

Lougle Wed 20-Jul-11 23:32:42

DD1 has HRM now, but we got her blue badge when she didn't have any mobility award (too young).

We were refused initially because she has learning difficulties/unsteadiness, etc., and the criteria is 'physical disability'.

The team refused on the basis that her physical issues were not on their own severe enough to warrant a badge, and that learning disability isn't in the criteria.

I appealed, using the argument that as her brain is malformed, evidenced on MRI scan, she has a disability of physical origin, which manifests itself as learning disability and ataxic gait, etc. Therefore, in my view, she fits the criteria of 'physical disability'.

I won.

hannahsmummsy Wed 20-Jul-11 23:35:18

my friend has a blue badge and she dosent get dla , she has a heart condition x

MissKittyEliza Thu 21-Jul-11 09:29:50

Yes. My ds has one. Has ASD, OCD, Tourettes.

We couldn't leave the house without this.

intothewest Thu 21-Jul-11 09:47:53

Just to agree- Ds's consultant advised us to apply before we had any DLA and he filled in the 'doctor's bit'

amistillsexy Thu 21-Jul-11 09:50:06

We have MRC and no mobility on our dla (HF asd). Have a blue badge- GP wrote letter of support.

Pixel Thu 21-Jul-11 19:41:17

Ds has had a blue badge for about 6 years but only got HRM this month so it is possible.

Calally Thu 21-Jul-11 22:24:34

Thanks everyone. Social workers going to do a support letter. Docs a bit useless, have a previous letter from him. Theres no where on my form for him to fill in details. Guessing it's different depending where you live?

mompa Fri 22-Jul-11 15:55:57

Yes my DS has one - refused initally and appealed and arrived in a couple of days. Do not receive DLA mobility part - DS only 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now