Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained primary reflexes

(9 Posts)
tiggyh Wed 20-Jul-11 20:13:21

Hi there

Does anyone have any experiences of getting help or advice from the The Institute for Neuro Physiological Psychology www.inpp.org.uk?
My 7yr old son has some retained primary reflexes diagnosed by an optometrist and from what I have read online there is a link between these and dyspraxia/dysgraphia. My son has real trouble trying to write / concentration issues / cross laterality and wondered if anyone else has had any success with the sort of daily exercises that are suggested to inhibit the primary reflexes?

sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new on here.
thanks

Helenagrace Thu 21-Jul-11 13:50:45

HI

I just replied on your other thread. I have some experience as dd is currently following an exercise programme devised by a Behavioural Optometrist. She has dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia and convergence insufficiency as well as 4/5 retained primary reflexes.

I think the exercise programme has helped. She is more coordinated and therefore more confident and her handwriting is massively improved (although she has also been doing Speed Up at school so that might also have contributed).

Her concentration has improved but she is still very disorganised and we're working on strategies to help with that at home.

I haven't had any dealings with that particular institute.

IndigoBell Thu 21-Jul-11 13:58:08

Yes, loads of people here have done it with heaps of success.

Becaroo currently goes there.

I go somewhere else and am very pleased with the therapy.

Search threads on 'retained reflexes'

Tatyan Thu 21-Jul-11 22:43:12

I haven't used INPP itself, but have studied the subject of reflex integration whilst living in the USA - made a huge difference for my 10 yo son with ASD/SLD. I have subsequently got myself trained and find that this method (using laser) is much faster than any others. I haven't had money to invest into laser so I was sticking to accupressure technique. I am planning to buy it as I saw what a difference it makes for kids that my son's therapist was treating in the US. check out this link, obviously it is not advertising, but if you want to you can contact me, otherwise start with the website of the woman who developed this method www.reflexintegration.net/reflexes.html

IndigoBell Fri 22-Jul-11 09:16:32

Tatyan - INPP uses exercises, kind of like occupational therapy, to re-integrate the retained reflexes. So it's a bit different to the link you posted.

My DD just got her first set of exercises yesterday (at a diff place, not INPP), and it included a lot of 'crossing the midline' exercises, and things to do with moving her head (slowly) to sort out balance / inner ear problems, and straws for sucking and pipe toys for blowing............

It's all really fascinating.

My DS has been doing it for a year (almost finished now), starting with the above exercises, and it def worked for him.

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:23:47

Yes I go there with my ds1 (8). He was found to have several retained reflexes.

Pleased so far and they are all lovely at INPP.

HTH

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:24:12

Please feel free to PM if you want any further info x

Tatyan Sat 23-Jul-11 14:25:28

I never said it wasn't working, I just felt that the laser had a remarkable effect pretty fast on different domains. I do know INPP - studied both of their books and planning to get trained as well. Also, INPP only works if the child is compliant which wasn't the case with mine or few others that I observed during the training.

Tatyan Sat 23-Jul-11 14:35:27

and I agree they are absolutely lovely there - I had few conversations with them and they didn't count minutes - gave very extensive info although knew I wasn't their client, which is rare these days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now