Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

retained spinal galant

(7 Posts)
walsingham Wed 20-Jul-11 20:05:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blueShark Wed 20-Jul-11 20:56:42

hmmm...I am not sure I can answer for the exact exercise would be as the RRT programme we are following is hierarchical, so we do set of exercises that gently touches on the top layer hierarchy, then increase this in few weeks, then move down to the next layer etc. I see with DS the spinal galant has gone down from 88% to 50% in 5 months but I couldnt spot a single exercise for it. Having said that he is still in nappy overnight which most night is not dry!

oddgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 08:21:22

Try slow motion snow angels lying on the floor. Arms and legs simultaneously to count of 5 then return to count of 5-repeat 10 times. Works a treat...

blueShark Thu 21-Jul-11 14:25:32

yes we do that exercise I just didnt know it was targeted at that reflex. Its called the aviator in my folder of exercises and its best described as: lie the child on the floor with legs together and arms next to the trunk and very slowly raise hands up towards head and opening legs at the same time. I needed 2 adults at the beginning until DS grasped what was expected.

walsingham Thu 21-Jul-11 18:07:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oddgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 18:18:26

All the way up to 1200-the important thing is the co-ordination of legs and arms travelling SLOWLY outwards and inwards-as blueshark says you might need 2 people to start with. Bring legs up as far as comfortable Keep contact with the floor at all times.
HTH and let me know if it works!

mumgoingcrazy Thu 21-Jul-11 19:53:13

One of our current excercises at the moment is spinal gallant rubbing to help DD2 with toilet training. Using a rough flannel (ie one dried in the air rather than tumble dried) on the lower back approx 1 inch either side of spine, rub from pelvis upwards to shoulder blade. Keep going until redness starts.

We also do angels in the snow, but I wasn't aware this was for spinal gallant.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now