Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Proposed statement - what to expect?

(8 Posts)
1980Sport Wed 20-Jul-11 19:02:55

Hi - just a query regarding statements, I'd appreciate some advice!

Social worker phoned today and was asking what stage SA is at - I said I was expecting the proposed statement through next month. She said for me not to be disappointed if it only said things like - regular physio, ongoing OT etc but they didn't tend to be specific because that's what your annual review is for?!? She said parents were often disappointed they weren't more specific!

That's not right is it?!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 20-Jul-11 19:14:48

No, that's what you'll probably get, but a Statement should specify and quantify provision according to the SEN COP. Parents don't always know this and accept any old woolly, weasely words. The targets can be broad, with the IEPs breaking the targets down into manageable chunks, but don't accept any old rubbish. Once you get it look at SOS SEN site for how to check the statement, and ask on here again, of course! smile

looneytoons Wed 20-Jul-11 19:16:04

She is right they will try to give a statement were it isnt clear how often help will be given. Dont accept it. write on exactly what the help should be and for how long for. change anything elsethat isnt right and send it back. If
they wont change it take it to tribunal to get it changed.

1980Sport Wed 20-Jul-11 21:45:18

Thank you! That's what I thought having read some threads on here! Bit disappointed with the SW you'd think she'd be telling us what to look out for and NOT accept rather than saying youll have to accept that it won't be specific.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 07:15:09

Annual review is mainly to review progress in the last year and is not for making specific changes to a document that is already agreed to. It is very difficult to make changes once the statement is agreed by you.

You need a statement that is both specified and quantified in terms of support. If it is not you need to reject it and go to Tribunal if necessary. For instance you need to see words like "X will have access to..." rather than "X will benefit from a programme of ....".

Parts 2 and 3 are the most important parts of this document so they need to be bang on right.

Ask one of the charities out there like IPSEA, SOSSEN, ACE etc re the statement and read parts 2 and 3 to them verbatim. They will tell you what it should say. Also ask on here when it is received.

1980Sport Thu 21-Jul-11 09:19:17

Thanks Attila - I'll definitely do that. If anyone is still about another quick question! We're hoping DS will be offered a part-time SN pre-nursery place at our SN school (he's only 2.6) we're not hopeful he'll get it but on the small off chance that he might be offered a place starting Sept - can he go ahead and start even if we are still negotiating the exact provision of his statement!?

utah Thu 21-Jul-11 09:35:14

His age will make a difference to the contents of his statement as the advice normally would be about provision at school but your statement is for SN early years provision, firstly a statement for a SN school is worded different to a statement for school, secondly yes he can access the SN placement as he has got a statement it has just not been finalised.

1980Sport Thu 21-Jul-11 10:45:57

Thanks Utah - don't think he'll be offered a place this term but still hoping smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now