Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What does MDA stand for?

(6 Posts)
alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 16:09:55

hi, have been told the nursery can send a MDA request form to area SEN case worker.
Can somebody tell my what MDA stands for please?

TotalChaos Wed 20-Jul-11 16:12:47

Multi-disciplinary Assessment I would imagine?

alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 16:21:31

What on earth is that? (sorry having a thick day?)

TotalChaos Wed 20-Jul-11 16:22:57

people from different "disciplines" i.e. with different jobs assessing him in the one appointment, in my DS's case this was paed/salt/ed psych.

alowVera Wed 20-Jul-11 16:34:39

Aahh! Thank you, that makes sense. What can you gain from having it done? Can it lead to a statement or is it instead of a statement, or unrelated?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 20-Jul-11 17:06:08

Sounds like an early stage assessment. What it will lead to depends on which professionals are involved. Medical profs will mean it may be the early stages of a DX, if EP it may lead to more specific support for your DS. Your DS should be put on Early years action plus initially as agencies outside the nursery are involved which will mean an IEP should be agreed with SMART targets. It may not lead to Statutory Assessment, but may be the first step.

What support do you think your DS needs? More specifics targets to work on or 1:1 support? EYA+ may include some 1:1 but not always. Have a look at the SEN Code of Practice to see what the process is. link here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now